Customizable Catalog/brochure

Place to discuss only the "Design Sharing" aspects of the eCabinet Systems software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

What type of customizable catalog/brochure would be best for selling Design Sharing library products to retail customers?

Poll ended at Thu, Aug 31 2006, 1:21PM

Printed Catalog 8 1/2 x 11
42%
Printed Brochure 3 1/3 x 8 1/2 (3-fold)
16%
CD Catalog
26%
Video Brochure (TV ad style)
No votes
All of the above
16%
None of the above
No votes

Total votes: 19

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Customizable Catalog/brochure

Post by DanEpps »

This poll is to gather interest concerning whether members would like to have a customizable catalog and/or brochure for Design Sharing libraries.

The catalog/brochure could be customized to include your logo, address, custom designs, etc.
Joe Stone

Post by Joe Stone »

Dan,

A video taken in my shop, simple but effective, has been a goal of mine since getting serious about the router. To use as a Res. sales tool would be tremendous for a cut services customer to use to help both members do impressive sales (bill? agree ). I was able to get serious private investment for my business based on the technology here. The simple shop video from Thermwood blew people away with its speed, ability, new joinery, etc.................. I saw it in person before showing this video so it didn't do it for me compared to the real thing BUT, if I hadn't I would have been impressed. I can't imagine that anyone could not take you seriously after seeing the actual shop and this technology in action compared to no joint big box stuff. In the real \"custom\" market it should be great as well. GREAT idea Dan.
Joe Stone

Precision Concept Cutting
http://www.pccmich.com
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

At who's expence guy's or would this be a feature added in to the software as a template where it could be saved to disk and taken to Staples to print?
Mike
We love what we do, we do it well.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Staples and the like aren't quite equipped to do \"real\" printing, just \"copying\". I am talking about creating a pre-press, four color process layout that is ready for the offset press.

Printing something out on an inkjet or laser printer just won't give the professional look that four color offset on glossy stock will.
Bill Rutherford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Bill Rutherford »

Joe,
Yes I agree that a video could be a very powerfull tool, at least for some. It all depends on what market you are trying to hit. We are all tool junkies, so to see a new tool (especially a router) is incredible. I am just not sure the surgeon's wife down the street would be as impressed as you and I were. She would probably unfortunately be more impressed by a book full of pretty pictures. As the big cabinet companies prove almost every day, you can take a junk box put decent doors, frames and trim on it and to the uneducated consumer it is a beautiful kitchen. Our job here is to educate, so if we can use that video along with samples of the \"right\" and \"wrong\" ways to build a cabinet and why then we might have something.

Bill
Bill Rutherford
North Woods Manufacturing
Full service CNC Machining
and Edge Banding
http://www.northwoodsmanufacturing.com
Bill Rutherford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Bill Rutherford »

Joe,
Yes I agree that a video could be a very powerfull tool, at least for some. It all depends on what market you are trying to hit. We are all tool junkies, so to see a new tool (especially a router) is incredible. I am just not sure the surgeon's wife down the street would be as impressed as you and I were. She would probably unfortunately be more impressed by a book full of pretty pictures. As the big cabinet companies prove almost every day, you can take a junk box put decent doors, frames and trim on it and to the uneducated consumer it is a beautiful kitchen. Our job here is to educate, so if we can use that video along with samples of the \"right\" and \"wrong\" ways to build a cabinet and why then we might have something.

Bill
Bill Rutherford
North Woods Manufacturing
Full service CNC Machining
and Edge Banding
http://www.northwoodsmanufacturing.com
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Bill Rutherford wrote:Joe,
Yes I agree that a video could be a very powerfull tool, at least for some. It all depends on what market you are trying to hit. We are all tool junkies, so to see a new tool (especially a router) is incredible. I am just not sure the surgeon's wife down the street would be as impressed as you and I were. She would probably unfortunately be more impressed by a book full of pretty pictures. As the big cabinet companies prove almost every day, you can take a junk box put decent doors, frames and trim on it and to the uneducated consumer it is a beautiful kitchen. Our job here is to educate, so if we can use that video along with samples of the "right" and "wrong" ways to build a cabinet and why then we might have something.

Bill
For a perfect example of this look no further than all of the food ads on television. Everything looks SO delicious and perfectly cooked--but most of it is almost raw and painted to look perfect, even the grill marks. It looks great on TV though and makes consumers want to rush out to buy it.

It IS all in the packaging. Making an attractive idea book for homeowners is the only way to compete with the big boxes on their turf.
Mitch Cain
Guru Member
Company Name: M Cain Woodworking

Post by Mitch Cain »

Bill and Dan...

Amen.
Black Bear Custom Cabinetry
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by Mike Bowers »

Mike Bowers wrote:
At who's expence guy's
or would this be a feature added in to the software as a template where it could be saved to disk and taken to Staples to print?
Mike
Well?...... Anyone?.......Come on fellas, give some love here. Talk to me :wink:
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Mike

Here is a quote from my post on Wednesday about printing:
DanEpps wrote:Staples and the like aren't quite equipped to do "real" printing, just "copying". I am talking about creating a pre-press, four color process layout that is ready for the offset press.

Printing something out on an inkjet or laser printer just won't give the professional look that four color offset on glossy stock will.
As for who would bear the expense, read back over the thread you started; "The Next Level". That is what got this discussion all started, but in a nutshell, individuals that want to have the items listed in this poll (or others like them) would pay for them.
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

Thanks Dan..I did read your post on Wednesday, but that didn't answer my question. It is now answered, I will read over the 58 posts in that thread as soon as a get a chance.
Mike

Can someone turn down the a/c :shock:
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Don't take it like that, dude :lol:
Joe Stone

Post by Joe Stone »

I don't think this is the perfect solution for everyone, I do think the poor assumption that this is out of reach for us as small shops is a mistake. Could any of us have afforded what we are envolved in here a few years ago? I prefer to be the first in line for things like this, not the last. I think if we can do something as a cooperative it has the opportunity to be of interest to all.

Bill the two video type formats you mentioned could both be effective, they need to be shown to the right customer. The router working at your shop etc..... would be for cutting service guys and maybe some commercial use. The educational video would actually outdo the box stores little catalog by a long shot. I however think that the most effective way to present this would be with a named professional as a paid person to participate. That takes A LOT of money ( not resonable in the short term ) so it would have to be a long term goal.
Joe Stone

Precision Concept Cutting
http://www.pccmich.com
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Maybe I'm wrong here for making mention of this. But, I have to say it in the intrest of simplicity. Although it is not available e_cabinets could export an HTML file for of the library of your choice to the disc. The disc on auto start could look for the HOOPS installation and install it for the viewer. This would give your wholesalers a tool to help you to sell your product, as well as customers, and other e_cabinet members who wish to purchase your files. They can view an entire kitchen cabinet set designed by you if the esa or hsf file is provided. We could make our own copies of the CDs to hand out or send to members and customers alike.

This doesn't solve the paper brochure or other issues at hand but does offer a solution.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650