New Control Nesting Features

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Dave Burtchell

New Control Nesting Features

Post by Dave Burtchell »

Sheet selection and Off-fall rotation are a real help, but the best feature so far is the Outline cutting order. We run a job every 2 weeks that cuts 650 parts out of 40 sheets. From 2 to 45 parts per sheet. Some parts about the same size as the labels. Cutting from smallest to largest area takes a little longer, but I can stop worrying about those small parts, particularly the ones control nesting likes to put at the corners of the sheet. Good work, guys! One thing I've noticed tho is that when there's a bunch of the same part on one sheet and they are nested together, (one sheet has about 20 parts 1 x 50), it now cuts them at random instead of from one side to the other. Would be nice to combine go to nearest part and cut from smallest to largest.

Couple requests: Add circles to manual input. Split the \"nest\" button into \"nest X\" and \"nest Y\" buttons.

Couple questions: Does \"tabs\" work with .dxf files? Can we cut mouldings with standard tools yet? Does anyone have a source for easy peel labels? We have to scrape them off of prelam with a chisel.

Problem: I'm getting small burrs on the part of the collet nut that contacts the collet. Should i be lubricating this spot ? It's happening on 5 out of 6 tool holders. I'm scrupulous about cleaning everything when changing bits. I've been removing the burr with very fine sandpaper but this is not satisfactory.

Word of advice: If you ever move the X axis lead screw flip block support by hand, say to lube it cause it's not moving properly, DON\"T FORGET to flip it back to the original position. It makes a loud noise when the stop bolt breaks off. Sounds like a gunshot. Embarassing. :oops:

As time goes on, I'm more and more impressed with both the machine (CS40) and the level of support.

Thanks
Dave
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Sheet selection

Post by David Hall »

Just adding my kudos for a nice implementation of the RN sheet selection feature.

Well done.

Regards
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Dave,

I will tell the programmers about your requests.

Tabs should work with dxf files. Using tabs will not allow you to double pass any of the tabbed parts.

Are these burrs on the screw part? Are you overtighting the covernut? Is it cross threaded? Does the spindle sound different from when you recieved the machine?

thanks,
Dave Burtchell

Post by Dave Burtchell »

Jason,

When I tried \"tabs\", the part was cut in one pass, but there was no tab left!

The burr on the covernut is on the machined surface that contacts the collet. There are similar scratches on the collet, tho not as deep. I don't know if I'm over tightening. How can I tell? The one time I tried to tighten less, if that makes sense, the bit creeped out about 0.02\"

It's not crossthreaded. The spindle sounds the same as ever.

Dave
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Dave,

Can you email me the dxf file that you are trying to cut?

My email is cabinets@thermwood.com

thanks,
Dave Burtchell

Post by Dave Burtchell »

Jason,

I'm afraid that one is long gone. I'll try tabs again tomorrow and let you know the result. I'll try to get a close up photo of the covernut problem, too.

Second the motion for multiple pass feature.

Dave