75%
See comments below
25%

Total votes: 8

Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hey, they'll be doing the shoulda-coulda in no time Brian.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Always start with a budget first. You don't want to waste time designing a $100,000 dream kitchen for a $10,000 budget.

I would find out whether they are using exactly the same specs for bids for other companies. Tell them up front that when comparing bids for cabinets they should make sure they are comparing apples to apples. Get the same materials, hardware and other options so they can really tell the difference in price between the bids. After that they can change options if they want to get the overall price lower.

Last but not least I would tell them I could give them a non-binding estimate of the cost or for a non-refundable deposit (that would be applied toward the job) I will create a complete design with measured 3D drawings and a firm price.

The tire-kickers won't waste your design time and you won't be creating designs that are way over someone's budget.
Mitch Cain
Guru Member
Company Name: M Cain Woodworking

Post by Mitch Cain »

Around here a $500 Design fee (applied to the cost of the project if selected) is pretty standard. I've seen it as low as $100, but that is disposable to some, and they might just pay the $100 to get a decent design. I recently compared one of my designs in ecabs to a semi-custom factory cabinet place - not a big box store but a factory cabinet rep - they used another software package to do their design and presented a set of 2D line drawings with different elevations - my presentation blew it away...Point being that using the excellent presentation capabilities of ecabs creates value in the consumer's mind and, compared to what others are using, puts you ahead of the game. You SHOULD be charging for that....
Black Bear Custom Cabinetry
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Brian,

You could stand in the soup line and make as much $ as the other guy will make on that job. Is he still doing Lyptus?
Brian Bauer
Guru Member

Post by Brian Bauer »

As far as i know yes and he must be a start up cause i priced it pretty tight, but then again they played me by telling him low amenities and me carte blanche. &$%%#@$%^^$@ homeowners. sorry my french is bad :twisted: .looks like we are heading into a recession :shock: .

Brian
Wood is wood , Particle Board is just dust !
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Maybe the OTHER guy needs the practice. At that price, that's all it is. I'll bet your customer will end up calling you to fix his job...........
Brian Bauer
Guru Member

Post by Brian Bauer »

Funny Brian I am the one who got the contractor the job,Now he is hinting That i help install someone else's crap, scuse the french. Hell no i won't go. Fool me once, in the sticks we don't get to two. :o. Do I look like a :joker: . That is not who I see in the mirror.
Well , thats a pretty deep subject. Better saved for another day.
Soon you will machine for me Brian,Soon.

Thanks Guys

Brian Bauer 8)
Wood is wood , Particle Board is just dust !