Tool Diameter Problem

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Rob Davis
Guru Member

Tool Diameter Problem

Post by Rob Davis »

Chris had a similar item on drilling and we have experienced it also. However, today we are getting a message \"Diameter of tool didn't work for a rout operation. The diameter tried is 0.500\" . We have a 0.500 tool in the machine and it won't get it. It is checked to rout, drill, dado or interpolate. We changed the tool diameter to 0.497 and it still did not work.
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Rob,

What is your diameter for your pocket tool setup set at? Is it the same size as the .5 tool that you have in your tool manager?

thanks,
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Call me stupid if you like..... pocket tool??? Don't know what this refers to or where to find it in Ecab or RN
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Go into Control Nesting. Then go into Settings. Pocket Settings is at the bottom left of the screen.
Attachments
settings.JPG
settings.JPG (103.69 KiB) Viewed 11046 times
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

0.5\"
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Is that .5 tool the same diameter as the tool that you are using in the tool manager? (F9, F2)
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Yes, we haev a 0.5 tool loaded in our #3 position. We aren't pocketing anything though. (?) For Ecabs, we load a .250 in #1; a .375 in #2; a .5 in #3; and a 5mm drill in #4. Our operations we set are 1st to do drill with #4, then to do anything with #1 tool, then anything with #3 tool , then #2 tool and outline with #2 as well.

This is a new thing for us.... don't knwo if it something we did or what. Still runnign V4 however as we haven't changed over on machine. Programming in V4 as well.
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

can you email me your twd file? I am also going to need a couple of files from the controller. Both are located in the C:/Rolling Nest folder. machine.ini and tools.thm

If you can send me these three files to cabinets@thermwood.com, I will take a look at it.
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Yes, we haev a 0.5 tool loaded in our #3 position. We aren't pocketing anything though. (?) For Ecabs, we load a .250 in #1; a .375 in #2; a .5 in #3; and a 5mm drill in #4. Our operations we set are 1st to do drill with #4, then to do anything with #1 tool, then anything with #3 tool , then #2 tool and outline with #2 as well.

This is a new thing for us.... don't knwo if it something we did or what. Still runnign V4 however as we haven't changed over on machine. Programming in V4 as well.
Rob Frenette

Post by Rob Frenette »

Hey Rob

Did you and Jason get your problem fixed?

Maybe there is a pocket on one of your parts that you can't see that is smaller than .5 These things do happen if you happen to be machining for someone else :wink:

Cheers Rob
Rob Frenette

Calmark Cabinetry & Woodwork Ltd
Specializing in CNC Machining & Edgebanding
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

I have narrowed it down to the Part Editor features in the design. When I run the parts without the part editor features, no problem. So for now, that's what we are going to do and manually put in the part editor features until I can figure out why.

Thanks fo rasking.
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Rob,

Change the pocket tool diameter to .25 and see if that works.

thanks,
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

If you put a fillet on the inside corner of a pocket less than, equal too, or close to the radius of your pocket tool, you will get this error.

Same error will occur if the part editor cut is for the outline, and you have an in inside corner with a radius less than or close to the radius of your outline tool. (but this one sounds like it's coming from a pocket)

Remove the filets or radius from the cut/pocket, and let the tool leave whatever radius it can.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

I got the same message yesturday with RN 5.01. I tried all sizes and still got the same message while NESTING, but NOT while WRITING CNC. I had a few 11\" dia. pockets and I think that was the cause. I ran the parts anyway and think all is good.

Brian
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

O.K.,

My job did NOT cut correctly. It did NOT cut(pocket) the \"Y\" shape. It will nest fine if I filter out that piece. Here's the strange thing. The \"Y\" WILL nest and cut only if I shut down RN AND THM both, then start up RN and do a fresh nest. If I try to nest a second time, I get the error until I restart THM again. I'm not sure if this is only in 5.01 or not.