Restricting a tool to only do outline operations

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Restricting a tool to only do outline operations

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

How do I make my 10mm (3/8') bit only perform outline operations and not be used for plunging 10mm holes for fittings. I will use another bit to perform the plunge operations.
For example I need to do 4 x 10mm holes 13mm deep on the bases of drawers for the fitment of Blumotion hardware. What is happening is that the bit is burning the particle board and thus wearing out too fast.
Any Suggestions?
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Use Tandembox with integrated Blumotion
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member

OK yes I agree with what you say...........but it doesn't answer my question, how do I prevent the 10mm diameter tool from doing plunge holes and stick to only doing outline operations.

The Blumotion hole example was offered to better describe my problem.
Our machine has a number of these operations for many different reasons, your solution fixes one of them.

Further to explain the problem, whenever these holes are performed the bit is burning the particle board. We notice a burning smell whne these are being performed as well as inspecting the holes and bit and notice charring and blackening

Another example would be our TZ holes which are a 10mm dia hole for a plastic accesory used to fasten the benhtops to the top of base cabinets.
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Glenn, I have noticed the same burning problem with the TZ holes but find it has only been happening since using the 13mm upshear on the cutter. It never used to do this with the smaller upshear for some reason.
Sorry dont know how to make the 10mm cutter do outline cuts only but i will have a look when I get to work tomorrow. Is there any setting in the operations setup in the tooling area of RN?
Bill Rutherford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Bill Rutherford »

Glenn,
In the tooling setup of rolling nest find the group that contains the material you are cutting. If no group contains it then make these changes in the default group. You need to make certain you do not have an operation set up that is using that particular tool. If you want to be able to use that tool for dados as well as outlines, then you will need to set up an operation, just make sure drill and interpolate are not checked. You should also check for tool numbers that are using that tool as a substitute tool.

A word about the burning, especially is you are plunging all the way through, you are running the risk of igniting your spoil board. You should always (well almost anyway) be using an upshear when plunging a hole. See the post from Rob Davis on 07/19/05

Hope this helps

Bill Rutherford
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the advice, I'll look at our settings and see what I can do, I know we don't use groups so that may be an issue.

I have seen the post re burning of the spoilboard, we are not going all the way through the material and out tool has an upshear on it. Thats's the strange thing, you say that we should have an upshear for plunging and our tool rep yesterday mentioned that that operation was not good for an upshear tool lol......
We have been having problems getting any life out of our bits, we machine mainly particleboard and MDF and have changed tool suppliers a number of times. At present our test bit is an Onsrud 3/8' and setting speed and feed to their recomendations NOT our local Thermwood rep here ( This is a local issue and no reflection on Thermwood Corporation or the assistance and advice given by this board and USA support staff).
This has seen a great improvement in cut quality and speed as well as tool life.
I guess our main problem is that we get 20-30 sheets to a bit before resharpening/disguarding runiing at previous settings. This is just one suggestion our rep has asked us to investigate.
Again thanks Bill and Paul, I'll do some tests and let you know how it goes.
Jody Wilmes
Guru Member
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Jody Wilmes »

To use the outline tool ONLY for the perimeter, make sure that tool is NOT in the Operations Setup. If you want to use it for everything except holes, then it SHOULD be in the Operation Tool(s) Setup but not checked for Drill or Interpolate;
Attachments
rnestshot1.JPG
rnestshot1.JPG (56.42 KiB) Viewed 7748 times