tool diameter errors

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Steven C Wyllie

tool diameter errors

Post by Steven C Wyllie »

i have a 1/4\" bit that does some operatioins on my machine. i ussually use the true size of the bit which most of the time is .248 but now it was the type of bit size .25
but the problem is is that it wants both sizes to be used in one job which would mean that i need to have two 1/4\" bits in my machine with 2 different diameters.
why is the machine doing this i want it to route with one diameter and only one bit
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Steven,

It sounds like you have .248 tool set for an operation and a .25 tool for another operation. If this is the case, then take out the .25 tool as it sounds like you have a dado that requires less than .25 dia. tool. Let me know if this is the case.

thanks,
Steven C Wyllie

yea that is the case ill try to attatch the job to yall can see it, yea i have one tool in at .248 and one tool at .25 both are 1/4\" tools. but with in the same job it needs to use both of those diameters so i need to have 2 1/4\" bits in the machine to make it work
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Steven,

Then just take out the .25 operation and this should work.
Steven C Wyllie

here is the .esj
Attachments
Bimbo-REV.esj
(319.05 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Dave Burtchell

Post by Dave Burtchell »

Steven,
We have the four tool bar style changer.
Set up both tools in the tool manager in the same tool holder position. For example, say T1 is .248 at position B4, make T5 .250 also at position B4. That way when either diameter is called, it will grab the same tool. That is, if the .002\" dia difference is not critical. If you have a 4 position tool holder, you have to tick the \"auto measurable\" box for T5 and measure it, too, even tho it's the same tool. Make sure both tools are set up in \"tooling\" in RN.

Hope this helps,
Dave
Steven C Wyllie

thank you that did work im only using one 1/4\" tool
but it is still using both the diameters but only one diameter can be used to make parts come out right

when it calls for the .25 diameter the parts some out wrong. I think that this started a little after i installed build 5.02
I need it to use the .248 diameter if i want parts to come out right
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Steven,

Make sure that you have your diameter set correctly for your .25 tool. If it has .375 for the diameter, then your dados and other operations will come out wrong. There is really no reason to have both a .248 and .25 diameter tool as the .248 will still make a .25 wide dado.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Jason,

I think Steven is saying when he uses a .25 tool and enters a .25 tool the parts do not cut correctly but when he uses a .248 tool and enters the .248 tool it cuts correctly. I also have an issue with my .25 deep tenons when a smaller than .25 tool cuts the tenon to thickness it does not cut all the way to the end and as a result when the part is outlined it leaves a small piece of material on the end of the tenon. I only notice this with plywood I beleive because partical board ends up flaking off easily. I've checked everything top to bottom and all my settings are correct.

Forrest
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Forrest,

Is the diameter of your .25 tool set correctly in the Tool Manager?

thanks,
Steven C Wyllie

yea forest you have it right. thats the problem im getting. It leaves some wood on the tenions and we have to cut it off on our table saw. All of our settings are right but for some reason it will cut with a 1/4\" tool of any diameter i tell it and then sometimes it will only cut with a 1/4\" that is .25 which produces wrong parts

Do you have any idea on how to solve this problem
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

What version of Control Nesting do you have installed?
Steven C Wyllie

5.02 control nesting
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Try updating to 5.07 to see if this helps.
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

I was having a similar problem with CN using a tool that was too small for some dados (leaving a small strip down the center of the dado unmachined) CN 5.06

I changed the order of my dado operation tools in CN \"Tooling\" to largest to smallest, and all is well. A few extra tool changes, but better than fixing parts by hand.

CN is supposed to use tools to cut dados in the order in which they are listed... so long and the tool is large enough. But I believe there's a bug that skips tool changes even when they're required.

i.e. With my .25\" tool as operation 1, .375\" tool as operation 2 and .5\" tool as operation 3, A dado requiring the .25\" tool would cut OK, then it would continue to use the .25\" tool to cut a .51\" wide dado.... bad.

When I changed to .5\" tool as operation 1, .375\" tool as operation 2 and .25\" tool as operation 3, CN now always uses the largest tool it can to cut a dado.

Try changing the priority to largest diameter to smallest.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com