pump problems

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

pump problems

Post by Mark Hesketh »

i know this isn't technically a thermwood issue, but i am having some problems with the pumps for my thermwood router and was wondering if anyone has ever run into the same thing. a couple of times in the last couple of days, i have had both pumps shut down on their own at the same time, needing to be reset befroe they can be turned on again. it's a real pain when they do this in the middle of cutting a sheet while i am not looking. was just wondering if anyone knows what could cause both pumps to trip at the same time.
my theory is that it is a power spike/surge... we have some serious renovation construction going on here and i have a feeling that the work crew is anadvertently causing this.
anyways, just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience with both pumps going down at the same time.
thanks
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Mark,

I only have one 15 HP Busch pump but it shut down and had to be reset just last week. I WAS watching. It has happened in the past when I was NOT watching or listening. That can get ugly! My used to trip the curcuit breaker all the time. I found that I had to tighten the wires at the breaker. In the hot months, I also run a fan on the pump to help cooling but it still shuts down sometimes after long runs. Hope this helps. Make sure you have plenty of air flow around the pump.

Brian
Rich Kasten
Thermwood Team

Post by Rich Kasten »

It appears that these are 2 different problems. The first appears to be an incoming voltage spike or surge. When voltage drops the amperage goes up causing the overloads to trip. Since this effected both pumps at the same time this is likely what has happened happened.

The second posting sounds like an over temp problem. The fact that the pump trips during the hotter days and the fact if you put a fan on the pump helps would tend me to believe that this is what is happening. This condition can be caused by the oil in the pump starting to break down. If you have not changed the oil lately that would be my first suggestion. The manufacturer recommends changing oil every 300 hrs. Also make sure all filters are changed on a regular basis this too can cause over temp problems.

If either of these problems continue please contact the Thermwood Service department they would be more than happy to help.
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Thanks Rich,

I may be time for an oil and filter change.
Bill Rutherford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Bill Rutherford »

Brian,
We had the same problem last summer with our 15hp Busch pump, and you are right it can get VERY ugly. After speaking with Thermwood we determined the heater elements in the motor control for the vacuum pump needed to be one size larger. This was a very simple fix and the problem was gone. If you try the oil suggestion from Rich and it does no do the trick contact Thermwood and inquire about the heaters. If the heaters are the issue it will be a 5-10 minute fix and your problem will be gone.

Mark,
Rich is probably right with the power surge suggestion, but I wonder if the heaters could possibly cause your problem to. My theroy is that both pumps heaters are right on the edge of tripping, one goes creating a power spike that takes the other. I may be off base here, but it may be worth looking at.
Bill Rutherford
North Woods Manufacturing
Full service CNC Machining
and Edge Banding
http://www.northwoodsmanufacturing.com
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Thanks Bill,

I'll bet your right. I know how to change the heaters out and it is simple. I bought my pump and router used and I had to change the heaters because of my incoming voltage. As I recall, the heaters that I used and were spec'd for the power supply were supplied with the pump. I think I will try the next # up on the heaters.

Thanks,

Brian
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

thanks for all the help guys.

what a surprise, the electricians played hooky for a day and i had no problems. think i will throw something at them the next time my pumps fail. :twisted:

thanks again
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

just as an update to this issue...

had to call in the service guys this morning as the pumps kept failing on me every couple of minutes. apparently it was the main switch which had blown, and had burned through the wiring. apparently the only time it was working today was when it was able to arc across the burnt parts. i'm no electrician, but it sounded bad, and the scorch marks made me cringe.

but now that a new switch has been installed, all appears to be working well (knock on wood)
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Ouch! Fires can be a bad, bad thing in a cabinet shop.