Beaded Face Frames with Inset Doors

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

gordonjackson

Beaded Face Frames with Inset Doors

Post by gordonjackson »

I am currently using another software and want to make the switch to ecabs. I am willing to make the trip to Dale, for training, but I have the following question: Does ecabinets support beaded face frames with inset doors? The beaded/ inset is about 30% of our custom work. I would not want to dive into a new program if it does not support the type of work that we do.
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

HHmmm,
Is this what you're looking for?
Threw it together in a few minutes in eCab.
The stiles of the face frame may be edited to contain any kind of cut you may wish to make on the surface, since eCab allows you to create your part cutting tools as well as providing a selection of pre-provided tools for making custom decorative cuts.

The inset door is made by filling out the specs in the door definitions.

You'll enjoy the training session.
regards
Attachments
Inset beaded sml.jpg
Inset beaded sml.jpg (49.43 KiB) Viewed 11567 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

I will give you a shorter answer than Peter did--you can basically do anything you can imagine with eCabinets.

The only thing to remember is to learn to use common parts in uncommon ways or in other words, think outside the box.
gordonjackson

Post by gordonjackson »

Thanks, 8 was concerned because with beaded frames, the frame parts have to be haunched which affects the legnth of the adjoining piece. My current design program will not do this and my cutlists come out wrong.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Let me phrase it another way for you. With eCabinets you are in control of everything and not the other way around.

Before this elicits screams of \"but I can't do this\" or \"I can't do that\" from other folks, refer back to my earlier post about \"learning to use common parts in uncommon ways.\"

Sometimes you have to make a duck look like a swan but you have the control over what the end result is and anyone looking at that result would never know their swan was really a duck :wink:

For example in version 4 we did not have stretchers as we do in version 5 so we \"cheated\" by using shelves or partitions with front or back insets to create a \"stretcher.\" To the software it was still a shelf or partition but to anyone looking at the design it was stretcher.

The current version has no method of directly placing partitions in a corner cabinet but that can be overcome by placing another cabinet (minus a few parts) inside your corner cabinet.

Both of these are what I refer to as \"using common parts in uncommon ways.\" Any obstacle can be overcome with imagination and creativity (and a little help from this forum :wink: ).
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Sorry for the double post
Kerry
Last edited by Kerry Fullington on Fri, Nov 10 2006, 7:31PM, edited 1 time in total.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Gordon,
You will have some difficulty with the haunch cuts in eCabinets also. All face frames are basically shown as a butt joint. There might be a way around it but I have never really looked into it. There is a mortise and tenon joint feature for face frames that has never been implemented that I think will let you do what you want if they ever get it turned on.
The inset doors of course are no problem at all.
Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I overlook the haunched cut. You might be able to do this in the part editor otherwise you can create the face frame using display boards and edit them in the display part editor to get the haunch and bead.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Dan, Gordon,
I just played with it a little and by adding a negative inset to your rails and midstiles etc. you can allow for the haunch cuts on your cutlists so Gordon yes I think eCabinets will do what you want.
Attachments
haunch_cut.jpg
haunch_cut.jpg (41.86 KiB) Viewed 11532 times
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

You can even show the cuts graphically if you want to go to the trouble.
Attachments
haunch_cut_02.jpg
haunch_cut_02.jpg (41.37 KiB) Viewed 11527 times
gordonjackson

Post by gordonjackson »

Thanks Guys,
That just answered my question. I guess I will be going to Dale.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

This is what you are talking about right?
Attachments
Haunched Frame.jpg
Haunched Frame.jpg (46.4 KiB) Viewed 11524 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Here is that cabinet if you want to take a look at it. I used negative insets like Kerry said to extend the top and bottom rails by one inch on each end.

Then I took each stile into the part editor and cut a 1x1 inch square on each end then cut a 1\" one dimension chamfer on end.

I took each rail into the part editor and cut a 1\" one dimension chamfer on each end and that was it.

Total time--five minutes at most. It took a lot longer to describe it than to do it :lol:
Attachments
Haunched Frame Base.hsf
(273.53 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Okay, I had to play just a little more and put a bead (single) and inset doors on the cabinet for you Gordon.
Attachments
Haunched Frame Base.hsf
(596.74 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
Haunched Frame.jpg
Haunched Frame.jpg (60.21 KiB) Viewed 11510 times
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hey Dan, try a inset mitered door with a bead detail on that cab to see what it looks like.