Out of Memory

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Out of Memory

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I have e been working on a job this last week on my laptop and started getting an \"Out Of Memory\" error when I tried to save. I would have to close eCabinets without saving. After getting home today I transfered the job to my work station and if I make changes to the job I still get Out of Memory. 2gig ram, 512 on the video card and virtual is set to 4092 max.
What memory am I out of?
Kerry
Dan Gilleece

Post by Dan Gilleece »

Have a look here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126962

It could be your \"heap\" memory. I've run into this with demanding computer games in the past. If you aren't comfortable fiddling with registry settings, you may want to call in some help.

Is this particular file unusually large? What strikes me as interesting is that the problem manifests on two different computers.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Thanks for the link Dan.
I don't think I'll mess with the registry. For a while on my laptop I was able to save by turning everything off that was running in the background including anti-virus. ( I wasn't connected to the internet.) and setting the appearance settings to performance. etc., but that didn't help for long.
The work station doesn't have much running but eCabinets but your post prompted me to look at something.
When I open eCabinets the eCabinets .exe is using 38.124k of memory
When I open this job it is using 808.148k
When I try to save it is using 967.312k
so eCabinets is eating up a lot of memory.
Is this normal?
Is it time for 4gig of ram?
The file is a 35mb file and not nearly finished

I tried removing the pulls and that doesn't seem to free up any memory. It still gives out of memory when I try to save.

Here is a link to the job if anyone needs to take a look. Remember it will save as is. Add another display object or something then try to save.

Kerry
Dan Gilleece

Post by Dan Gilleece »

Kerry, try opening a job you are not having this problem with, and see how much memory it gobbles up. I've seen several different types of computer files \"go rogue\", and eat up strange amounts of resources, even when they aren't necessarily large files when saved. There could be some bugged instruction in this particular file that is demanding too much memory, or stomping over memory that is already allocated to something else.
Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Post by Jean G Voyer »

Kerry,

Dan Epps and me and some other guys were talking about this problem in an other post not so long ago. Thermwood hasn't brought an answer toi it yet.

But not so long ago I went through a training seminar here in Calgary for eCabinet through CNC Automation, the thermwood distributor in Canada.
Eric the theacher was mentionning to us that we should be carefull when we use cabinets that have been through a lot of different changes to design a job. I know that most of the time that I was getting into that problem it was because I was picking up a cabinet or an assembly that I used on another job.
Since the training I have created a very simple librairy of seed cabinets from the standard librairy and I haven't come across that problem since.
It looks like when some cabinets go trhough a lot of transformation they drag some remains of those changes and somehow screw up the memory.
I hope this will help you because it did help me.
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500
Dan Gilleece

Re:

Post by Dan Gilleece »

Jean G Voyer wrote:...we should be carefull when we use cabinets that have been through a lot of different changes to design a job.

It looks like when some cabinets go trhough a lot of transformation they drag some remains of those changes and somehow screw up the memory.
I hope this will help you because it did help me.
This pretty much sums up what I was alluding to. I've seen many different types of application files build up "junk" in them as they go through several generations of change and modification. MS Word is still notorious for this, but since I don't know how similar the Ecab file system is, I have no idea if I'm making a valid comparison.

FYI, Kerry -- in another post, I mentioned some trouble I was having with the bookcases in your stain grade library. I can't get them to Autofill or Duplicate L/R at all. Perhaps there is something in your seed files that is tangled up? It might be worth a look, in case there is some bug in your base files that might be propagating through several items.
Dan Gilleece

Post by Dan Gilleece »

Update: I've loaded your job, added two cabinets and a plant, and saved just fine. My weak laptop has 1Gb of memory, and 128Mb video, for the sake of comparison.

This file does seem to be sluggish, although I don't have much experience with large files in eCab so far, so my speed gauge is subjective.

I notice a large number of \"objects\" being processed at save -- 865,000 or so. I have no basis for comparison in my eCabs experience so far, but, is that a typical number of objects for a job of that size and complexity? If there are stray \"objects\" being saved that don't display, that would bloat the job file and possibly cause strange results. Again, I have seen what I believe are similar situations in desktop publishing files.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Dan,
Attached is a column that I have been trying to add to the drawing. This is when everything seemed to go south.
I added the column then scaled it to 12 X 12X 96 tall and I couldn't move the column or save the file.

Kerry
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

I just tried saving the job with the coffered ceiling and that is a no go also.
I am trying to show the customer some of the architectural elements because they have some problems such as not enough room for wide door casings, the ceiling needs to be raised to do the coffers, the refrigerator is going to stick 5\" into a doorway unless they go Sub Zero or similar the microwave over the cook top is horrible and the kitchen is painfully small.

Kerry
Dan Gilleece

Post by Dan Gilleece »

I just added the column and saved. During the calculation phase of the save, I got an error dialog stating \"Unable to save job version\", or something similar. Then, the job went on to save fine.

One thing I would point out: this column file seems to really drag my system down. Even in the Choose Item dialog, the behavior of the application bogs down when I try to click the OK button with the column file selected, it won't respond --- but if I select other items in the dialog, they respond just fine. Very strange.
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

Kerry
I'm impressed! That is a beautiful kitchen & will make a great presentation. Good luck with the job.
Mike
We love what we do, we do it well.
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Kerry,

Look at your \"Total\" and \"Peak\" Commit Charge on the performance tab of the Windows Task Manager. Both of these numbers should stay below the \"Total\" Physical Memory. If not, then you need to add RAM.

Keep in mind, that adding another 2GB will only net you 1.5GB, for a total of 3.5GB. This is a restriction of running 32-bit Windows.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Dan Gilleece

Post by Dan Gilleece »

Kerry,

I've added the column, saved the job, and rendered it (slooooowly) on my laptop with only a 1Gb of memory.

Dan
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Dean
When I tried to save, the task manager says my total Physical Memory is 2095188
The Total commit Charge was 1117782 and
the Peak was 1569124 while trying to save and I still get Out of memory
Kerry
Attachments
memory.jpg
memory.jpg (727.46 KiB) Viewed 11394 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Kerry

I just loaded the job, added the column and saved it again. It took about 10 seconds to save (slow but not bad for a job of this size) and used 50% CPU and less than 1GB pagefile.

I know you've probably already used the tried and true method of \"fixing\" Windows memory issues--reboot.

I have 2GB RAM on this system so it is not really a memory issue per se, but something with your configuration or something that is running in the background that is conflicting with saving the file.