Face frames that cover entire run

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Ray Jorgensen
Company Name: Classic Custom Wood

Face frames that cover entire run

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Do any of you do face frames that cover the entire run? By this I mean a top and bottom rail that runs from 1 end of the bank of cabinets to the corner or other end? I do this and think it makes for a cleaner look. I'm wondering how to show this with the software.

Thanks
Rolf Bergstrom

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

I do this often. If it is just a top and/or bottom rail run like you are describing, I just create a negative inset on the right of the leftmost cabinet (or left of the rightmost cabinet) to make the length I want. You then need to create insets on your stiles so they stop at the rail. Then delete the bottom rail on the remaining cabinets and set the stile insets accordingly.
If it is one face frame for a complete stack like the built in I just finished I build an assy of the whole set frameless and add the FF components using display boards. It is a pain but everything is correct in the display and the cutlist.
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

Ray,

I actually use this as a big selling point with my clients, it's one of the things that makes us a true custom shop.

In eCabs, you can accomplish this one of 3 ways. Either build your cabinets frameless and 'stick build' your faceframes with display boards, or make your cabs one giant one with appropriate partitions, etc and split your backs (or create a phantom material that covers the entire thing). You can also figure out your insets/scribes/floats in the Face Frame settings of Constructions Settings as well. Takes some planning, a lot of cussin' n swearin', but it's definitely doable.

Good luck!

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Ray Jorgensen

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

I think I getting how you do this. Next question. IS there a way to take cabs from the detail room to the cab editor?
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Mike Seisser »

Yes!

If it's an individual cabinet, highlight (select) the cabinet, right-click, then choose \"Adjust Cabinet Features\", then choose \"Edit Cabinet\".

If it's an Assembly, highlight (select) the assembly, right-click, then choose \"Edit Assembly\". (You can then edit the individual cabinet within the assembly back in Cabinet Editor, just don't forget to save your changes if you want them to be permanent.)

About the above 2 options: \"Edit Assembly\" appears in the first pop-up menu when you right click. \"Edit Cabinet\" is in a flyout menu under \"Adjust Cabinet Features\" after the right-click popup.

In either case, once you're done making changes and saving them, just click 'Return' in the lower left hand part of the screen in Cabinet Editor, choose whether or not to 'Apply Changes' to the room, and there you have it.

Mike
Ray Jorgensen

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

They've thought of everything!!! More new stuff to learn and try. Thanks
a bunch
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Mike Seisser »

Yup, that's a pretty powerful one when you've overlooked a small detail that won't allow your layout to work! Speaking from experience, of course...

Mike