Design Sharing/Furniture network my view of the next level

Place to discuss only the "Design Sharing" aspects of the eCabinet Systems software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Roger Erismann

Design Sharing/Furniture network my view of the next level

Post by Roger Erismann »

Merry Christmas everyone!!

I know working Sunday and Christmas eve day....

Here are my questions/remarks...

- I have used the production sharing with e-cabs and had succes
- I have my own library, doesn't seem that big a deal to me(maybe I am wrong)

- The \"cooperative\" or e-cabs forum or whatever you want to call it is a great resource for all of us users; wether we own a router or not..

How do we turn the production/design sharing and furniture network into a comprehensive package? For example:

In a retail situation with full set of displays etc...the customer can pick and choose from the design concepts and the finishes. Once a decision has been made the retailer can submit to a forum for fabrication or there is perhaps a pre-aranged price schedule for cutting certain components on the furniture network.

This would accomplish several things:

- Furnish a price to the customer immediately(easier to close the sale)
- Make the independent retailer directly competive with some the high end big box stores..
- Generate more price quotes and probably more sales
- increase turnaround time

Can we link the production/design sharing to the furniture network?

I am of course speaking of entertainment centers etc, home office solutions etc..

I have looked at it from a few different angles and my own experience...

My problems were two fold:

- The production sharing database was either outdated or inaccurate it took me over a month to find a third-party fabricator.

- Material consistency and quality..

My goal would be a retail experience that mimicks the multi national fully automated companies like Ikea, Alno or Ethan allen but yet is made up of independent owners and operators taking advantage of this wonderful forum.

I know this is possible because I have used all of the components of the cooperative at different stages...and it all works very well..

As a matter of fact I should be submitting a kitchen for production sharing in the coming month...

This would appeal especially to people in my situation
- great set of tools
- lots of instalation and assembly expeirence
- great trim work and finish skills
- Small production capabilities

Rather than go the whole route of big shop etc..we can move to sales and marketing through a retail location and keep our small independent shops and continue to pursue fine cabinetry and custom furniture.

does that make sense to anyone else

That is my view of the next level...
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
Joe Stone

Post by Joe Stone »

That makes a whole lot of sense to me. That was the original thought behind the program and it seemed to not take hold well enough with the membership. I would be happy to set this up for anyone interested (as I have a machine for cutting services only). To get it off the ground I think each retailer will have to have a piece to show. This has been the sticking point for those interested. The pieces are heavy on machine time with the level of carving in the pieces. I am willing to produce a show piece at cost for anyone interested in developing this type of program. By cost I mean +/- 50.00 an hour of machine time, orders will go then go back to standard rate. No materials mark up on these either, small handling charge to produce orders. I also have assembly, and finishing available to those who want or need it.
I think this has real possibilities, it is as of yet untaped
Joe Stone

Precision Concept Cutting
http://www.pccmich.com
justin mason
Company Name: IWS

Post by justin mason »

this seams to be a reality with the custom woodworker, I think it was Kerry who said \"small business by design, that way a craftsman can practice his trade without the pressures of production\".

Roger wrote
\"My goal would be a retail experience that mimicks the multi national fully automated companies like Ikea, Alno or Ethan allen but yet is made up of independent owners and operators taking advantage of this wonderful forum.\"

this situation works very well for me, I am a one man shop with no competitors, ( there are many other shops in the area, but their lead time support and price are not comparable ) I use ecab, have a local ( 40 min drive) shop with a routor cut parts, outsource doors, drawers, and use a very maticulas furniture finisher to produce a top notch quality product, leaving me plenty of time to measure 2 cut 1 and make sure that what i build is clear and understood, and have enough time to do the fun stuff in the shop.
the ecab world changed my life.
(please dont take that as braging on my part, the program and programers make this sort of situation possible)
clear design
justin mason
Company Name: IWS

Post by justin mason »

this seams to be a reality with the custom woodworker, I think it was Kerry who said \"small business by design, that way a craftsman can practice his trade without the pressures of production\".

Roger wrote
\"My goal would be a retail experience that mimicks the multi national fully automated companies like Ikea, Alno or Ethan allen but yet is made up of independent owners and operators taking advantage of this wonderful forum.\"

this situation works very well for me, I am a one man shop with no competitors, ( there are many other shops in the area, but their lead time support and price are not comparable ) I use ecab, have a local ( 40 min drive) shop with a routor cut parts, outsource doors, drawers, and use a very maticulas furniture finisher to produce a top notch quality product, leaving me plenty of time to measure 2 cut 1 and make sure that what i build is clear and understood, and have enough time to do the fun stuff in the shop.
the ecab world changed my life.
(please dont take that as braging on my part, the program and programers make this sort of situation possible)
clear design