Wine cooler (first time post - hope it works)

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Peter Firth

Wine cooler (first time post - hope it works)

Post by Peter Firth »

I sure had a lot of fun with this one
Attachments
walnut inside and out with pull out shelves, back lighting, and a tumbled slate servery in the cente
walnut inside and out with pull out shelves, back lighting, and a tumbled slate servery in the cente
Wine cooler.jpg (82.83 KiB) Viewed 13110 times
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Very nice Peter...I especially like the attention to detail throughout the casework.

Is this a job your are building, is so I'm sure Jason would be interested in seeing it and photos of the completed piece.

Mark
Peter Firth

Post by Peter Firth »

Hey Mark Thanks for the compliment. I'll try to post a photo of the finished unit.
Attachments
We did the Kitchen , an entertainment center and two vanities as well.
We did the Kitchen , an entertainment center and two vanities as well.
Work Pics December 2006 141.jpg (309.31 KiB) Viewed 13101 times
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Peter you called the piece a wine \"cooler\" is there a refrigeration/cooling unit for the two side cabinets? I would be very interested in knowing more about that if so.

You need to send an email to Jason, he's looking for ecabinet illustrations and final product photos for the next newsleter...He was interested in one of my illustrations (an island) however the job never came to fuition.... :?

I'm pretty sure he would like to see this though...

Mark
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Re:

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Peter Firth wrote:Hey Mark Thanks for the compliment. I'll try to post a photo of the finished unit.
Peter -- Very nice unit. I noticed that you added the 2 central legs, which I was wondering about when I saw the first design just now. It looks great.
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Very nice design Peter. That turned out great!
Peter Firth

Post by Peter Firth »

Mark, regarding the cooling. I put an evaporater unit in the top of each tower with a walnut grid to hide it but not obstruct the flow of cooled air and the main compresser sits in a crawl space directly bellow the cooler. It has been up and running for about ten months and is working perfectly. Both sides are maintaining an even 57 deg. perfect for red wine and the customer can adjust up or down by ten deg. If a person wanted to cool for white wine a pair of dehumidifiers sould be added, stronger evaporaters and a double glassed front door. In this case the cusomer requested a set up for red wine only. Each shelf holds 5 regular wine bottles and the bottom shelf in each tower is set to hold 4 mags.
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

very sweet Peter...sounds like your pretty familar with the cooling systems as well as the woodwork.

It doesn't appear as if there is any lining inside the cabinets...(?) Seals around doors (?) Special finishes to the interior of the cabinets (?)

I'm wondering if I couldn't develop a pretty serious market for an item like that around here.

Mark
Peter Firth

Post by Peter Firth »

Hey Mark, the doors on the cooling towers have magnetic seals (seal built into the case work and a metal strip rebated into the back of the door and painted black). The sides, bottom, top and backs are insulated with one inch sm biult into the millwork. The finish is a jacobian (sp?) stain and catalysed lacquer on walnut veneer. According to the manufacturers specs on the lacquer it is fine for this porpose as long as you leave it to gas off and cure for forty days. We left it for sixty just to be sure. One other detail that doesn't show well in the pics is the way we built the drawers. Traditionaly you set the bottles slopping down to maintain a wet cork. In this case the customer wanted to show off their wine and display the labels. As a result I designed the shelves so they hold the bottles on about a 2.5 deg. incline and the but of the bottle facing the door. This worked perfectly in making the labels easy to see and the air bubble in each bottle is sitting neatly in the sholder of the bottle maintaining a wet cork. On top of that we used an accuride eclipse slide on each pullout shelf for a little added bling. This design does work well and I would be Honored if this has inspired you to pursue a market in you area. I just last week sealed a deal for a $150,000 - $250,000 (customer wants what he wants) job for the new year based on what this new customer saw of this job with the cooler.
Peter Firth

Post by Peter Firth »

Here is a pic of the pullout and bottle placement. I designed this on e-cab an wish dearly that I had access to a nesting machine at the time. It took a hundred hours to produce these shelves
Attachments
Bottle and pullout detail
Bottle and pullout detail
Work Pics December 2006 144.jpg (268.38 KiB) Viewed 13065 times
Michael Rice

Post by Michael Rice »

Hey Peter That's a great design, and exceptional finished product !!

Mike
It's what you do, with what you got !
David Norton
Guru Member
Company Name: Custom Trim and Millwork

Post by David Norton »

Awesome work, both in Ecabs & the shop. You should be proud !
Dave Norton
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Peter,
You are going to get lots of inquiries on this one.

Mine:
What is \"one inch sm\"?
Are the interior cooler surfaces actually finished walnut?
What is the expectation for moisture build up inside and its affects on the wood?

Finally, do you have a source you can share for the refrigeration supplies?

Really nice work and another example of finding niche markets that pay well.
Merry Christmas,
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Peter,
You are going to get lots of inquiries on this one.

Mine:
What is \"one inch sm\"?
Are the interior cooler surfaces actually finished walnut?
What is the expectation for moisture build up inside and its affects on the wood?

Finally, do you have a source you can share for the refrigeration supplies?

Really nice work and another example of finding niche markets that pay well.
Merry Christmas,