horizontal grain

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

horizontal grain

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hello,
I have a client who has been hitting the design mags a little to much. She has a 125 yr old farmhouse, yet wants to put a kitchen in like you might see in a big city apartment. Of course I said NO PROBLEM!
Actually it should not be, but what I thought would be simple in the software is throwing out some weird things back at me.

What she is looking for is all horizontal grain on doors,drawer fronts, end panels, etc.

I plan on doing this with veneer core plywood and .018 wood edgebanding, I have the kitchen layed out with my standard cabinets and had planned on just going back in and changing drawers and doors to slab and adjusting grain direction. This should give me what I need to go to the router. My problem is after changing to slad drawer fronts and drawers, then trying to change grain direction I am getting all kinds of sizing errors. Seems like the door and door editor is ignoring my overlay/ reveal settings and just not behaving in general. Any one else had experience with this? I am not having any luck after changing grain direction.

I am attaching a cabinet that I have already changed to slab doors/drawer front, I am also attaching a cabinet out of my library that has not been changed. Can any one get these changed to horizontal grain on both drawer front and doors and hold my door/drawer front sizes??

Thanks so much for any help, not having any luck raising any one at thermwood today..
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Mike

I downloaded vcp base top drawer dbl door.hsf and changed the default doors and drawers to standard slab.

I went into the Door/Drawer editor, removed the existing doors and drawers the added back slabs. In the add dialog I changed the grain direction to 90 and it looks like everything sized OK to me.
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Hey Dan,
Thanks for the help, heres a couple different versions of what is happening to me. Notice the one named problem child has the drawer front overlapping the doors. The door size is correct and the drawer front height should be 6.625. the slab drawer front just seems to ignore the reveal/gap settings and resizes on its own to 7 1/16\".
The other attach. has the 90 deg. grain and a conestaga drawer front and works fine????Think I will go back and delete that slab drawer front and remake it and see what happens.
Thanks again,
Mike Murray
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Watch the size of the drawer change when you click the grain direction slider. It goes from 6 5/8 to 7 1/16.

I think you need to send this one to Thermwood to check out.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I went ahead and added the drawer and it sized correctly even though it displayed a different size in the dialog.

I noticed after adding it that your grain on the material is already at 90 degrees so I changed it back to zero and it still works.

I would still report the size box changing though.
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Thanks Dan,yes I did pick up on that size box having a mind of its own. I just got the guts to load v-12 this morning and seem to have a couple odd things going on now.For some reason i cannot get it to do anything other than resizing to 7 1/16 and overlapping the doors
I will work on this more tommorow, I am getting cranky and hungry, not a good combination for messing with this program!!!
Have a good evening.
Mike Murray
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

You are deleting the drawer and adding it back aren't you?
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Yes sir, have deleted the drawer, have deleted the doors and drawers, even deleted the slab door and drawer front and rebuilt them also.No luck so far. Have to get a couple jobs going and then will return to this later today.
Thank you Dan,
Mike
Mike Murray