Detached Toe Base selection

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Detached Toe Base selection

Post by Joe Dusel »

Does anybody use the Detached Toe Base selection? I can't figure out exactly why you would want to use it. It mucks up the cabinet height dimension and it doesn't actually add a toe base when you place a cabinet in a room, so why would you use it? It would be nice if there were a selection to associate a toe base with a base cabinet and then have the software place both units in the room. It would also then be nice to be able to highlight two or more toe bases and have a \"combine\" feature.

Joe
Bryan Wilson

Post by Bryan Wilson »

Hello Joe
I use the detached toe because when I build my cabinets I make the toe completly seperate from the box. (I hand build all my cabinets, no router yet :( )
When using it you have to create a seperate cabinet (toe) the height of your toe and then join the two cabinets together to make an assy.
The main reason is I don't like to cut the notch for the toe in the side panels.
It also shows up correctly in the sheet layout area.
Also, if you use 1 long toe for numerous cabinets in an assy.
You just have to remember to set the toe height correctly in the main cabinet settings.

Hope this helps

Bryan
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Joe,
We use detatched toe kicks often but it is for construction purposes. When we have a tall cabinet and we need a detached toe to stand it up in the room, we use the detached toe feature. We have a router so this builds the parts correctly versus us having to saw them off later. We also do a fair amount of commercial stuff and use this feature so we can install the toe space \"structure\" first and bring in the cabinetry without toe kicks and set them in one easy method.

We do not use eCabinets for presentation very often so our use of this feature is for construction. You could make a very short base cabinet (4.5 tall, 21 deep, and various widths and put it in first and then set the bases on it for presentations.
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Thanks for the replies. I guess I didn't make my post clear enough. I do mostly frameless cabinets, so I almost always use a detached toe base, but usually with levelers and just a toe-kick. It's not the idea of the detached toe base that I don't understand, it's the current implementaion in the software.

The problem that I see with making the two parts an assembly is that resizing is cumbersome. You can't just say you want the assembly a certain width, you have to do all of this in the Cabinet/Assembly editor.

Thanks,

Joe
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Joe -- All you have to do is create a toe kick from a cabinet and then save it as a cabinet. Then when you want to use it resizing is very easy. Here is one of mine.
Attachments
toe.JPG
toe.JPG (105.45 KiB) Viewed 16225 times
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

This is what I use Joe.
Attachments
Base.jpg
Base.jpg (8.63 KiB) Viewed 16272 times
Base.hsf
(94.32 KiB) Downloaded 534 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Wally & Rick

What Joe is getting at is the fact that a detached toe kick cannot be made part of the base cabinet without creating an assembly. When you create an assembly it cannot be resized as a single unit.

When Joe is creating his custom layout he has to add the detached toe separately from the base cabinet. What he wants (and it would be a nice feature) is for the detached toe to be \"attached\" programatically to a cabinet so that both can be resized as a single unit.
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hey Joe,
I dont know if this will help, but here is how I do it.I also use adj. legs , so I just set my base cabinets in the job at 4\" from the floor. Then I figure how many pcs of 4\" toe I will need and add them in to job through batch, that way they get nested and cut.If I get a client who really needs to see the space filled on the drawings, I will just use display boards for the presentation.
Hope this helps.
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Thanks guys. Dan is right about what I want. I do have an assortment of toe base cabinets that I currently use, but I appreciate you all showing what you use.

Joe
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

We make our kicks as one, if we have 4 B24 in an 8' run, we make 1 kick 96 & adjust if there is a finished end. Its just a lot quicker
Mike
We love what we do, we do it well.
Brian Rowland

Post by Brian Rowland »

while on the subject...

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make the front toe be in front of the sleepers. I've fiddled around with insets and flushes and I'm stumped.

I basically want what the jpeg in Wally's post shows. Should be simple, but...der...i guess i'm simpler.
\"Do, or do not. There is no try.\"
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

Is this what you need Brian?
Attachments
Kitchen 21 Deep.hsf
(92.06 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
We love what we do, we do it well.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hey Brian, the one I use works around that issue quite well, and resizes no problem.
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Okay guys, here's a work-around for people who just use toe-kicks with levelers. This is for display purposes only. By this I mean, you aren't going to use this method to give you toe-kicks for cutlists. It's just that I think it will make it easier to plop a cabinet in a room and have it look right.

Here's how I did these...

Take your basic cabinet box design and Add a stretcher of some bogus material (like generic black) of the height that your toe kick material normally is (like 4\" or 100mm) with an Up-down orientation.

Adjust the stretcher insets to put the stretcher below the cabinet where you want it. In my case this was Inset 2 = -4\" and Inset 3 = 3\".

Lock insets 5 and 6, then set these to a negative value equal to your cabinet material thickness. (Like -3/4\")

Now you have a toe-kick that will be placed with your cabinet box, but you can just ignore the material in your nesting.

In the rendering I placed the same cabinet in 4 places and just resized it.

Joe
Attachments
testToes1.jpg
testToes1.jpg (110.91 KiB) Viewed 16119 times
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Excellent work around Joe!