Chest on frame wine rack

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nevin Anderson

Chest on frame wine rack

Post by Nevin Anderson »

Good day! This is my first piece of furniture to be designed with eCabinet Systems software. I don't have a CNC router, so will be building using traditional cutting techniques. It will be built as two separate pieces - an upper chest that sits on a lower open frame composed of four stretchers and four cabriole legs with ball and claw feet.

The design of the upper chest is going well, but I have not yet attacked the moldings. My question concers the lower unit.

How do you use eCabinet to design the legs and then attach the four stretchers to the post blocks of these legs? After design is complete, I assume I then bring both units into the same cabinet editor screen, place the upper on the lower, then associate the two.

Thanks for any advice. Happy New Year!
Nevin Anderson, MD
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Welcome to the framily Nevin.

If I understand correctly, you are trying to do something like the attached image.

To create it I used a standard detached toe and removed the top (in construction settings, check \"None\" for top). I left the detached toe cabinet with Generic materials to show better in the image but you can change it to anything you wish by defining a material to use.

I changed the height to 4\" and added four ACB28 legs from Adams Wood.

You can find them by opening up the \"Load Item\" dialog just like you are going to open a cabinet but check the \"Vendor Items\" radio button. Choose Adams Wood then Wood Components. The ACB28 is 28 1/4\" tall and has a 4\" corner block.

You can add one leg and copy/paste it in the cabinet editor using CTRL-C/CTRL-V when the leg is highlighted.

Rotate each leg to the desired orientation and use \"Align Items\" to move it into place. Once you have the leg in place and it and the cdabinet still highlighted, right-click and choose \"Associations - Associate to Cabinet.\"

Once you have all of the legs in place and associated you can save it as a cabinet.
Attachments
BandC Base.hsf
(797.13 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
BandC Base.jpg
BandC Base.jpg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 5525 times
Nevin Anderson

Wine rack cabinet

Post by Nevin Anderson »

Dan,

You're the man! Not only is the attached image exactly what I have in mind, but your instructions enabled me to create it from scratch in less than an hour. Thanks!

Next question. I'm sure there will be more! I've designed the upper cabinet which will be the wine rack. I decided to use left to right stretchers with appropriate insets to hold the wine bottles. I got those placed with no problem, but when I tried to take one of these stretchers into the part editor to cut half circles along the top of each stretcher to hold the bottles, the software said I couldn't take that type item into the part editor. What now?

Thanks again,
Nevin
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

You will need to use display panels or display boards for this. I would use display panels simply because you can define the width and length and with display boards only the length (you have to use an existing board width).

You load them in the same manner, just click the \"Display Panel\" radion button.

Be sure to post a picture in the Customer Images forum after you finish so we can all see your design.
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Nevin,
Remember that once you create a single display board with the bottle cutouts and place it onto the cabinet, while it is still selected (green mesh over part) you can press Control \"C\" to copy it and Control \"V\" to paste another and then another, etc. without creating each one in the part editor. Speeds things up.
Best wishes for the New Year!