Board Stock Questions

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Michael Billings

board stock questions

Post by Michael Billings »

Thank guys for all the replies. It seems that the software is unable to do what I want it to do, at least at this time. I dont, however, understand why it shouldnt be able to.
When it comes to gluing up panels in-house, why do you have specify the width of board in the first place? Why not have the software ask you the thickness only? Then, once your door sizes are specified, the panel sizes are calculated from the door size and the rail and style size, right. Then, in the cut list for that panel there would be just a panel size. In the board stock summary there would be the number of panels and the total board feet required. Who cares what width boards you use. You simply buy the number of board feet you will need plus the calculated wast and build the doors as you always would. Whats the big deal.
Same goes for the rails and styles for the face and the door frames. Sure in this situation the program needs to know the the exact width and thickness, but why the lengths? After the frames and doors are specified, the cut list would show what each piece is, and the board stock summary would show a total length of each size, the board feet total for each size, and the board foot total for all parts made from that material, for instance 4/4 Cherry. Why does the software have to constrain to a input length??? Whats the big deal with size constraints? Its all simply math.
The program should definately be able to give board feet totals for board stock. How many of us buy board stock for frames and panels that is exactly 8ft long by 2 1/4 wide. I think not many. The majority of people buy wood the way it is sold, by the board feet in random widths and lengths.
I was surprized the first time I saw a cut list and realized I had to get my calculator out and do a bunch of simple calculations in order to finish what my super dooper computer and whats touted as the finest cabinet software out there couldnt finish. Hmm
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Michael billings,

Although I may agree with a few of the seamingly simple things that this software needs to do such as..
gluing up panels in-house, why do you have specify the width of board in the first place? Why not have the software ask you the thickness only? Then, once your door sizes are specified, the panel sizes are calculated from the door size and the rail and style size, right. Then, in the cut list for that panel there would be just a panel size. ... Who cares what width boards you use.

All I need is the panel size and Bft needed for the order.

However, I am a bit supprised at the sinicle tone you have developed with the use of this software. It is capable of doing more the the other unnamed packages, with better suppport and it has cost you nothing out of pocket except trial and error on your part. You will spend more time learning, and money out of pocket with the others. That's a fact.

If I bought a machine and put it on the floor of my shop, should I expect to start cutting parts immedietly? NO I need to learn to use it first. Ultimately however, I may break a few bits and burn a few bearings as i develpoe my own techniques. As with every machine owner. In addition, with every thing new to us we need to first decide to take the challenge and offer any and every possible solution to any problem that arises.

Everyone at Thermwood has an interest in this software and the suggestions offered by us the end users.

I was surprized the first time I saw a cut list and realized I had to get my calculator out and do a bunch of simple calculations in order to finish what my super dooper computer and whats touted as the finest cabinet software out there couldnt finish. Hmm

So what it has a few quirks, they are being updated and fixed. And this forum has support like no other. And we are all here for each other. Can't say that for something you will spend 20K on.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Michael Billings

Post by Michael Billings »

Hey Michael,
Thanks for your tips. I appologize for my sinicle attitude. I didnt realize how bad it sounded until I read it later on the post! I had been having a lot of trouble figuring out where the numbers on my cutlist are comming from. They simply dont jive. I figure it was something I did wrong but I dont know what. Anyway, I was fustrated and my post reflected that. Again I appologise.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Michael,
There is a problem with the Board Stock Summary on the Cut List. It won't add up at this point. The guys at eCabinets are working on it. That may be what you are running into.
Kerry
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Appology accepted, And happy new year.

You are welcome to post any question and concern you may have, There are (as I said) quirks that are currently being addressed. Sometimes when they do a build update there are quirks that somehow develope. They will certantly will be addressed as soon as they are notified. That doesn't mean they will be fixed at the snap of a finger however, they will be fixed.

This software has so much potential Mike. And, as fluent as I am with this software there are areas I don't commonly use because of my system. I run a shop with three employees and an occasional part time helper. Myself my partner and his wife. Works out pretty good at 20-30K per month. We just started this business and hope to see it quadruple the revenue my last business did ~250K it's last year in operation.

And it was in part because of this software. I encourage you to take the challange and sacrifice hours of leasure \"if you have any\" for the next couple of months and become familiar with e_cabinets. It will make life more enjoyable.

if you don't have this forum as your home page, make it so. This will help you keep up with any changes and bugs or issues, and find the temperary work around as a solution

best regards and a prosperous year to you and yours.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650