editing dovetail drawers

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

editing dovetail drawers

Post by Mark Hesketh »

is there any way to edit a part of a dovetail drawer? we use anti-slam hardware that requires a couple of cutouts in the bottom of the front of the drawer box. is there any way to edit that part so that the machine will cut those out for us? They would be through-cuts about 2 inches wide each, an inch in from each side, and come flush with the full-dadoed bottom.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

You cannot edit drawer box parts in the current version but I think it is planned for a future version.
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

that's what i thought. sigh. now i have to explain that to the computer illiterates...
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hey Mark, I use accurides undermounts and they require the same notch in the back, instead of notching, I just raise the whole back so no notching is needed. Could you just do the same with the front, the drawer front will cover.......Basically a removable bottom, from the front or back! Accurides do not require the front notch.Hope that helps.
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

i raised the back so that it is a butt joint with the bottom, but i would not want that to show at the front as that joint does not look very nice. when the dovetails are seen on the side, and the front is butted with the bottom, there is a vissible notch at the bottom of the joint, and you can see the drawer bottom. (this is with blind-dadoes.)
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Mark

If you are machining the drawer boxes on your router the following drawer which was a default drawer added with V5 is what we have been using to avoid the notching issue.

Dovetail Dbx -slide in btm-.hsf

Mark
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

just want to put forth my request to have a drawer-box-part-editor included in the next version, or as soon as possible. i've been asked to create tray dividers for certain drawers, and currently have to make it as 2 seperate entities; the drawer box and a seperate \"cabinet\" that is all the partitions.

otherwise, a work-around could be created if it were possible to make a cabinet with dovetail joinery, and just make a drawer box as a cabinet, where you could then add \"shelves\" and \"partitions\" to act as tray dividers.

either way, it would make my job alot easier :D
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

Mark,

Drawer boxes, stretchers and perhaps even some other elements will be allowed in Part Editor in a future version/build, according to a post from Jason not too long ago. They wanted to implement drawer boxes and stretchers in to the software A.S.A.P. so people could start cutting them right away, instead of holding those features back until they could do everything with them in the software that we users want.

Mike

btw, you can make your own dovetail joinery and use offests to build a cab in eCabs......
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.