Need Input

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Dickey Beckham

Need Input

Post by Dickey Beckham »

I have put out a bid for a small kitchen job. She Loves the drawing thank to ecabinet, But she would like to put the Microwave under the Counter
I will make what ever the customer wants but i do not sure i like the deal. Kids Safty etc. what do you thanks.
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Dickey, get used to it, it is one of the latest, greatest designer fads. They are now making Microwave drawers....
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Dickey Beckham

Post by Dickey Beckham »

Thank
I was afraid that someone would say somthing like that.
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Dickey,

Mike is right. I've done several Microwaves in base cabinets and just finished a job with the Sharp microwave drawer. I wouldn't do it. I have a 3 yr. old grandson that LOVES buttons! With that said, just tell the customer your thoughts and reservations on this and build them what they want. Hope this helps.

Brian
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

This one could turn out to be a biggie. Every time I get that queasy feeling about something the customer wants me to do, I insert the following in large type face in the agreement:

Customer indemnifies _________________, its officers and employees from any and all damages or claims resulting from the installation or use of this feature by any person.

regards,
Michael Rice

Post by Michael Rice »

I agree with Peter. Put it in writing. Make sure you have plenty of liability coverage. In 1989, when my son was 2 years old, I was awakened at 5:00am to the sound of the smoke alarm going off. I jumped out of bed and ran into the hall which was filled with smoke. Ran to the kitchen, and found my son sitting on the countertop with smoke pouring out of the microwave. He had put four wood handled butcher knives in the microwave and turned it on. I grabbed the oven and threw it out into the back yard. The wood handles of the knoves had turned to charcoal. I don't know how long it had been on, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been much longer till the house was on fire. I've yet to see a microwave drawer, but it blows my mind to think that they are putting them in base cabinets............. :shock:

Mike
It's what you do, with what you got !
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Wow, Thank God you had the alarms and your family was safe.
It just goes back to what I tell my clients, just because some one makes it, doesnt make it useful, just because some designer can sketch it, doesnt mean it will function.With that said I have done several kitchens with microwaves in the base cabinets and have two that I can remember on the books with the microwave drawers.. I warn people but they just say there kids are old enough and there not worried about it, I guess who cares about grandchildren, or the next family who might own the home..I will never have one in my home...You can lead them to water but you cant make them drink!!
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Dickey,

Maybe you should print some of these posts to show your client. Michael's story is one good reason NOT to put it in the base. It only takes once Michael was lucky. Cover your a__. Put it in writing.

Brian
Dickey Beckham

Post by Dickey Beckham »

Brian

you know i may just do that. Thank