Default wood type?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Default wood type?

Post by Peter Walsh »

I've noticed that when I select one of the standard cabs to bring into my cab editor they are shown in a wood tone finish/type that looks like walnut but when loaded, it comes up in a generic pine plywood type. This uses time to change each cab to the wood type that I want at the time.

Since most my orders now come in cherry, how do I change the default loading info to bring the cab in as cherry and save all that wood type changing. Since I always use face frames, it is several clicks to get this accomplished.

My recollection is that the cabs used to load as the image shows in prior rev versions?.

Thanks
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Peter

Change the material image to \"importedimages\\26\" and it will stay the same as when loading.
Bryan Wilson

Post by Bryan Wilson »

Peter
Aren't you just suppose to change 1 cabinet then save it as your seed?
then you can pull up that seed and modify sizes ect.
Hope I understood the question.

Bryan
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Dan,
I don't understand your suggestion. Is the \"/26\" the indicator for wood type? Wouldn't all the cabs have the same name if I use your suggestion literally?
On another matter I sent you some photos this morning. I've been forgetting to send those. They're 300dpi res.

Bryan,
Yeah, essentially that's a way to do it. Take all the standard cabs and change them to the wood type you want and save. This means building a library of all the standard cabs in every wood type. Lots of new files.

I just thought there should be a default setting to help do this.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

It is the image name in the ImportedImages folder. Just select the material in \"Settings/Preferences - Define Stock Materials\" and click the \"Select Image\" button.

Then browse to the ImportedImages folder and select \"26\" then click the \"Update\" button to set the new image.

Thanks for the pictures...I just saw them a few minutes ago and they are nice.
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Dan,
I followed your directions. First, I do not have a \"26\" selection. The highest number I have in imported images is 17 and there seems to be no way to decipher what each number represents in wood type.

Even if I select a number, according to your directions, the standard cabinet still loads in the walnut type wood tone and then immediately self-changes to generic pine which is what it was doing before I tried to change things.

I must be missing something.
Peter
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I don't even have a 17 in imported images. The attached image shows my imported images list.

I did some comparisons and 26 is actually Red Oak Nutmeg 40 Sheen. The \"normal\" generic color is Hard Maple from the hard maple folder or 46 in my imported images folder but it doesn't look like walnut though.
Attachments
Materials Images.jpg
Materials Images.jpg (116.55 KiB) Viewed 11900 times
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Post by Joe Soto »

Guys, I think imported images are just that, imported, from job or cabinet files that you have downloaded from the forum. So your number 1 might be one color and mine might be something else. Or you might have 100 and me only 10. I have one that is lime green, I know I didn't add it.
Joe
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Guys thanks for the responses, but my software's behavior of loading the right color initially and then immediately changing it to a generic pine tells me something is wrong with my version.

I have some other issues with my Microsoft XP that needs repair so I am not going to pursue this little vexation until I settle those issues next week.
Thanks
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

No, mine does that also Peter. It loads up with the color I showed then changes to the hard maple.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I guess I am missing something here. All of your materials will be whatever texture you have selected in Preferences. The exception would be that when you place a door or drawer front on your cabinet your face frames will change to the texture of whatever door or drawer front that you place on that cabinet. (this will only happen if you have checked the \"Display Finish Common with door\") check box on page two of the face frames tab in construction settings. The only other thing that I have noticed is that if I change the color of eCabinets \"Generic\" material, it shows the eCabinets original texture first before changing to the new texture that I have chosen.
The Imported image folder is just the textures that are on materials that happen when you bring in a cabinet from another member or something and you have to select \"Add Material\". You can also import your own textures to this folder but I quit doing that and use a folder that I created called \"My Textures\" to make things less confusing.

Kerry
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Kerry,
I guess the overriding question is why can't we have a \"default\" setting each of us can use to select what wood we are working in to eliminate all the clicking and horsing around to change the wood type for the cab, doors, and face frames. The \"global\" change we all use is incomplete since it doesn't gather the doors and face frames as well as the obnoxious changing of the back from 1/4\" stock in the imported cab to the global 3/4\" stock. That one is easy to forget and screws things up later when it comes time to nest and order sheet goods.

I still think it is strange that the software is being told to change the selected standard cabinet from one wood to another when the user hasn't told it to do so. Obviously there is a reference date field that is telling it to do so. Let's ask to have access to changing that.

cheers,
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Just had another thought.
Is it possible that in V12 they have actually made the standard cabs in a light wood but used darker images files?

HHHmmmm no, I guess not. Why would it load lighter then change?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Peter,
Go to Preferences/Define Stock Materials/ Sheet Stock/
Then select 3/4 Generic.
The image listed will be what your sheet goods will have when you select a standard cabinet.
Go to Preferences/Define Stock Materials/ Board stock and select Generic 2 X 3/4 and the image shown will be what your face frame stock will be for a standard cabinet unless you change the door.
If you have changed the Generic Materials textures then when you open a standard cabinet it will flash the original texture that eCabinets used then go to the texture that you have changed to.

I use one material called Stain and one material called Paint. I then just change the texture and pricing for these two materials to get my presentations. The only problem is changing all of the face frame parts but hopefully this will get easier in future releases of the software.

Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Kerry

I have the original colors for generic materials and when I load a standard cabinet, it first loads with a Red Oak Nutmeg 40 Sheen then changes to Hard Maple. I haven't changed the generic colors.