problem opening files on another computer

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jeff Blewitt

problem opening files on another computer

Post by Jeff Blewitt »

Since I upgrades to V5 Build 12, I'm having problems opening files on my laptop that were created on my desktop & viceversa. I get weird error messages like \"hoops data cannot be read\" and \"wrong file format\" etc. I do design work at home or on site (like add-on or replacement cabinets or a whole job, then transfer the file to the desk top to complete it. So this has been a real handycap. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
-Jeff
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

It sounds like you are trying to open newer files with an older version of eCabinets.

Make sure both computers have been updated with the latest build by clicking \"Help - About eCabinet Systems\".
Jeff Blewitt

Post by Jeff Blewitt »

I'm a step ahead of you on that one (even a blind 1 legged dog gets lucky sometimes). :lol: Both are running the same build. I saw an earlier post from July that listed the same error with glass shelved cabinets. Do you think material definitions could have something to do with it?
-Jeff
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

If it were different materials definitions you would be prompted to add a new material.

Consider this:

If you want to have the same files on both computers, start with the computer with the \"gold\" files and perform an eCabinets backup. Then copy the contents of the backup directory to the other computer and perform an eCabinets restore.

This will copy all of the databases, settings, cabinets, etc so you have a clean starting point. Afterwards all you have to do is copy the HSF files that you are working on from one computer to the other. It is a good idea to give the file a new name when copying it to the other computer. That way you will still have the original file if something is wrong with the newer version.
Jeff Blewitt

Post by Jeff Blewitt »

I'm going to use your suggestion in the future, however it doesn't solve the current issue. I guess I'll have to keep playing with it.

I never realized you were up by Dalton, I've probably driven past your shop and never new it! :oops:
-Jeff