First post/question - be gentle

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

First post/question - be gentle

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Hi everyone. I've had the e-cabinets program for a short while now and can do some basic stuff. I've modified the cabinets to fit my structure and have loaded them into the detail area and got a 3D picture with countertops and sinks and other stuff. I am now trying to make my standard decorative toekick and have be baffled. I've been trying to use the parts editor to remove sections of the toekick. I have been able to remove areas (like I did with the sink) but I cannot get the shape that I am looking for because I cannot use the spline function (doesn't seem to exist in the editor only the profile contour). Is there a way to import the shape I make in the profile contour into the parts editor or am I going about it the wrong way.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Welcome Leo, the area you want to remove needs to be completely connected as a closed entity, so make sure all your lines connect to each other.
Attachments
deco base.jpg
deco base.jpg (16.62 KiB) Viewed 13652 times
Keith Beggarly

Post by Keith Beggarly »

Hey Leo,
You can create this using a dxf file. The dxf. file geometry must not be splines. Here I used an ellipse to creat this representation of what you want. I loaded the file in the part editor/contour.

-KB
Attachments
Toekick.jpg
Toekick.jpg (39.08 KiB) Viewed 13649 times
Keith Beggarly

Post by Keith Beggarly »

Hey Leo,
You can create this using a dxf file. The dxf. file geometry must not be splines. Here I used an ellipse to creat this representation of what you want. I loaded the file in the part editor/contour.

-KB
Attachments
Toekick.jpg
Toekick.jpg (39.08 KiB) Viewed 13648 times
Mitch Cain
Guru Member
Company Name: M Cain Woodworking

Post by Mitch Cain »

Hi Leo! Are you Leo from LRG Woodworking?
Black Bear Custom Cabinetry
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Hey Mitch,
Ya, it's me. How's the new business going? Still at it part time or did you start running full. Keith seems to have come up with the answer, but I'm not sure that I can do what he has done because of the lack of an editor with DXF output. I made a big jump from my $13 CAD editor to eCabinets. Bit off a lot and having a hard time chewing. I see your only a few towns over from me. I'll be getting a laptop sometime soon. Maybe I can come and see your shop - or vice versa. Nice hearing form you again and happy to hear you got something promising going with your shop.

Thanks for the effort Keith, maybe I'll be able to pull it off. I assume the eCab doesn't have a way for me to do this within the cabinet software itself?

Thanks again.
Mitch Cain
Guru Member

Post by Mitch Cain »

Leo - You have mail at your aol address.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Leo,
You can use a couple of three point arcs to get close. It won't be as smooth as a spline, but may get you by.
Kerry
Attachments
toe.jpg
toe.jpg (18.43 KiB) Viewed 13565 times
Jody Wilmes
Guru Member
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Jody Wilmes »

Most Cad programs have the ability to export DXF files, don't know about a $13 one though. Some even have the option of converting a spline into tangent arcs and lines.
Sean O' Hare

Post by Sean O' Hare »

Leo,

I usually cut a couple of rectangles from the part, then use the fillet function.

Sean
Attachments
Ecabs Kicker 1.jpg
Ecabs Kicker 1.jpg (38.7 KiB) Viewed 13518 times
sean
Keith Beggarly

Post by Keith Beggarly »

Hey Leo,

Here is the same result using eCabs only. You have to use several three point arcs but, you get the same results. I originally use used a .dxf file. I have used Autocad and other programs since I used to design industrial equip. and it was easier for me just to use a .dxf file. However, eCabs can achieve the same results as you can see. Just be patient with the software and you can do great things with it. Everyday I am amazed at what the software can do.

-KB
Attachments
Toekick002.jpg
Toekick002.jpg (35.6 KiB) Viewed 13490 times
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Re:

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Keith Beggarly wrote:Hey Leo,

-KB
Hey Keith, I just got an editor that will produce a DXF file and tried to do it with the ellipses like you suggested. When I loaded the geometry and selected it it said the contour was not closed. I went back into the file and went in really close and could not detect any opens. Any idea what gives? Should I be saving in DXF 2000 or DXF R12? Thanks again.
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Well, it only took forever, but I did it within eCab. Used the parts editor using 3 point arcs, rectangles and fillets. The first one I did was upside down, why does it put horizontal parts in the vertical perspective. Oh well, it's done and figured out. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll get this beat yet. Thanks again.

Leo
Mitch Cain
Guru Member

Post by Mitch Cain »

Nice looking cabinet Leo! And great job figuring it out with the Part Editor...
Keith Beggarly

Post by Keith Beggarly »

Hey Leo, looks like you got it. That looks great!

-KB