Cabinet Editor suggestion

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Rolf Bergstrom

Cabinet Editor suggestion

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

Wouldn't it make more sense to have parts associated to the cabinet by default?
It seems (to me anyway) that when you add a display panel or board, molding, whatever to a cabinet in the cabinet editor that you usually want that part associated with the cabinet. Personally, I can't think of a situation where I would not want the part associated with the cabinet. If for some reason you did not want the part associated you could always disassociate it.
I know I have lost work many times by forgetting this little step (I just did about an hours worth of mitered moldings and part editor cuts on parts and guess what...? Yep). At least if you forget to disassociate the part you can go back and fix it easily.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

If you have a cabinet selected when adding parts, they are automatically associated.

Now having said that, I agree with you because I forget to select the cabinet before adding parts. It certainly would be nice to have parts automatically associated whether the cabinet is selected or not (unless it was a multiple cabinet assembly of course).
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I think that assemblies are where the problem lies. The part wouldn't know which cabinet to associate to.
Kerry
Rolf Bergstrom

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

I guess I can see a possible issue there. If you have multiple cabinets making an assembly there would be no way to know which cabinet it should be assocated with.
However, once it becomes an assembly the added parts do become part of the assembly and don't need to be assocated with a cabinet to be retained.
Though that may make it a bit more difficult to engineer, the CE does know the difference between a cabinet and an assembly so it should not be too tough.
Anyone know of an example with a single cabinet in CE where you would NOT want an added part to be associated with the cabinet by default?
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Rolf Bergstrom wrote:Anyone know of an example with a single cabinet in CE where you would NOT want an added part to be associated with the cabinet by default?
I can't think of any.