layout issue

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jonathan Lester

layout issue

Post by Jonathan Lester »

Hi all
I am trying to do my first layout since the ecab training and im having problems. I have my cabinets made and i have a filler attatched to a cabinet and when i try to bump the cabiet with a filler into the cabinet beside it it runs through the cabinet. I have the insert mode set to \"align to back\" and I have tried changing that but to no avail. I have the box with th filler on it saved as an assembly would that affect how it behaves in layout? please help!
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hi Jonathan,
I dont beleive the software will recognize that filler when placing cabinets. You might try butting those cab together and then setting your move incremint to whatever your filler is and moving manualy. Maybe some one else who does this will have a better answer. I guess if your using face frame cabinet you could adjust your scribe if you looking for rendering only??
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Instead of using a display panel for your filler, use a frameless cabinet with evarything but the back deleted. Inset the back the full depth of the cabinet.

Instead of making an assembly of the two cabinets, add them to the room separately and you can easily move them.

Another plus: doing this makes your \"filler\" resizable!
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Johathan,

If you are indeed using face frames, this is how we handle fillers. Dan's method is quick and easy, however I prefer to have our toe kick included (this way it also cuts on the router so we can attach it to our faceframe stile). We use either the right or left stile, size the cabinet to 3\" or whatever is needed and include the deck and toe kick...as in Dan's example everything else is deleted. Dan's example is easily resizable - our method resizes easily according to material set up for face frames.

Now - truth be told, I try like the devil not to use fillers. I much prefer to size cabinets accordingly and as Michael suggested use extended stiles as needed on our cabinets. It's a simple thing to add a wide stile on either end of the face frame and then set a scribe accordingly. The example shown below is a 3\" extended stile on the right side of the cabinet with a 1.75\" scribe - this leaves the same set back from the inside of the face frame as a normal 1/4\" scribe would on an 1-1/2\" stile.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse the issue...

Mark
Attachments
filler.jpg
filler.jpg (58.08 KiB) Viewed 7545 times
extended stile.jpg
extended stile.jpg (66.37 KiB) Viewed 7545 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Mark Taylor wrote:Now - truth be told, I try like the devil not to use fillers. I much prefer to size cabinets accordingly...
Is it not a hallmark of custom cabinetry that it is designed to fit without the use of fillers? I say leave the fillers to the big boxes that sell in three-inch increments and design your cabinets to fit the space.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Fillers are still necessary Dan especially in frameless. you wouldn't put a cabinet up against a wall without one, just the baseboard clearance alone is one issue not to mention the perfectly straight wall to scribe to.
Brian Bauer
Guru Member

Post by Brian Bauer »

mark ,
That is exactly how i deal with mine it looks the best in face frame situations. The toe kick is inconsequential it is just added over the top of everything else 1/4\" skin. Or in the case of baths a 3/4\" solid piece, looks nicer :lol:

Brian
Wood is wood , Particle Board is just dust !
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Rick Palechuk wrote:Fillers are still necessary Dan especially in frameless. you wouldn't put a cabinet up against a wall without one, just the baseboard clearance alone is one issue not to mention the perfectly straight wall to scribe to.
What, you mean builders don't make perfectly flat and plumb walls? :roll:

I hadn't given thought to frameless cabinets. :oops: It's just that whenever I hear "filler" I think of the cardboard ready-made cabinets from the local home improvement center that require fillers to fit the space.

I hope no one takes offense at that reply as none was intended.
Jonathan Lester

Post by Jonathan Lester »

We make extended stiles when we make face frame cabinets also. However 95% of our cabinets are frameless and as stated you never encouter a perfect wall. To limit the cheap looking factor we try to limit the size of filler to 5/8 wide but sometimes this is not possoble. thanks for the suggestions.