jpg to solid file conversion

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

TonyGiunta
Company Name: ToSa Design

jpg to solid file conversion

Post by TonyGiunta »

I am new to ecabinets software, and am trying to get a jpg file of a company logo into ecabinet systems and then convert it into a 3d file of some sort that I could then place it on an assembly. Can this be done? Thanks!!
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

You will have to do that with an external program that can produce an STL file. Many users here use AccuTrans 3D. You can download a trial version free from http://www.micromouse.ca/.
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

Thanks Dan,

I do have v11 TurboCAD but I have never learned how to use it. When I do get the JPG into a STL file, where in ecab would I import this if I were to try to have this logo 1/16\" thick? I know how to create Display Panels and Cubes. Also, I did save the JPG in my material images library and tried to import into the Display Part Editor by selecting the \"Select Image\" button, but nothing ever loads. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks again!
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

After you convert the jpg to an stl, open it with the Display Part Editor. There you can color the object and save it to C:\\Program Files\\Thermwood\\eCabinet Systems\\import\\Sample_HSFs as an HSF file.

You can then load it into the cabinet editor as a display object.
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

OK, thanks!
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Tony,
Since a .jpg is just an image file I don't think that it has all of the 3D CAD information needed to convert it to a stereo lithography file.
There is a way to do this but I am not smart enough to tell you how. I have seen posts on the Internet from some of the people making signs and such about software to do just what you want to do. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.
Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Kerry

Accutrans will convert a jpg to an stl. I converted a jpg of my logo and made a plaque-like display object from it. It took a VERY long time for Accutrans to complete the conversion but it was good quality in the end.

Tony
It just struck me that if you are wanting to carve the logo with a CNC router, the display object will not work. You will have to use something like ArtCam Pro that can produce CNC output.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Dan,
What did you do to get it to open? Accutrans gives me the error \".jpg file is an unknown type.\"
I got it to work with a .bmp file.
Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I just opened it with \"Open All known File Types\" and it worked.
Attachments
Logo.jpg
Logo.jpg (125.23 KiB) Viewed 10522 times
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

Thanks for the input, I am not trying to carve out a logo, just trying to place it on a photo realistic model I have made. I am thinking I need a 3d file for when it is in perspective that it looks real at any angle. I did try Accutran but the problem I had was the jpg file of the logo had the square box attached to it similiar to Kerry's \"logo.jpg\". I don't know how to separate \"just\" the logo. Plus it looked really weird in Accutran, like it was a computer chip with holes and lines... I am trying to make the Apple Computer logo, there's lots of jpg's on the internet but all will have the same problem I mentioned above. I think for what I want a 2d drawing needs to be made of the apple \"only\" and the stalk only\" then I think I could get somewhere. I know a graphic designer and he probably has the right drawing tools/software to accomplish this, so I will approach him. I let you know how I made out.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Tony,
I tried converting a .jpg with another software I downloaded (image2cad).
It will convert the .jpg to .dxf but it is still 2 dimensional so that when I try to convert it to .stl it will not convert. I think you will have to do something to get 3D info.
Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Tony

Do you want the logo to be an inlay (concave) or a bas-relief (convex)?

What you are wanting is a simple apple with stem, correct? I have lots of 3D tools and can probably create one for you fairly easily.
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

Thanks for your help Kerry

Hi Dan,
I am thinking I need a 3D file but here is what I am trying to do. I have made a model of a Mac Mini (Apple Computer) in ecabinet systems using an assembly of display panels. One panel for the main aluminum body and a 1/8\" thick white top inlay piece. All that is missing is the Apple logo \"silk screened like\" onto/into the center of that white 1/8\" thick display panel top. I want this to be flush with the top like it was printed there. Then no matter which axis I rotate on in ecab it will look real. I thought if I could get a stl file of \"apple\" and \"stem\" then maybe I could use the closed part contour function and make 1/16\" thick parts that I could bring in as an assembly into the part/cabinet editor and sink it into and flush with my 1/8\" thick top part. So really I just need to get an image with a file type that ecab would allow me to superimpose onto a 1/16\" display panel/cube so that I could do a \"chain\" outline and make a closed conour part. Is this clear? What would you suggest? Thanks!
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

You can apply a jpg image to display cubes.