Lost machining

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Chris Say

Lost machining

Post by Chris Say »

I have created an arched MDF door. The part shows the routes correctly in editor but when it is nested the tool paths are not there. The same thing happens at the machine. I had trouble even designing this door because of an \"internal algorithmic\" error. Why won't the nest recognize the tool paths?
Attachments
Arched Panel Round.hsf
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 347 times
Justin D Melhiser

Post by Justin D Melhiser »

Chris

I am going to download this file and take a look at it. I will need to know what version of control nesting you are using as well.
Chris Say

Post by Chris Say »

We are running SuperControl Version 6.1.2.4
and
Control Nest 5.11 (with Profile Modeler)
Justin D Melhiser

Post by Justin D Melhiser »

How did you create the profile for the door? There is an update for the Control nesting V5.15 ont he website.
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Chris,

I had the same problem a while back with an arched MDF door. Kerry suggested to give the tool an offset. It seemed to work if I offset by at least half the tool dia. Hope this helps.

Brian
Chris Say

Post by Chris Say »

Hey thanks Brian. That is the advice I got from thermwood just to draw the door. In doing that I was successful in getting the route to show up on the part but now when I try to nest it the part shows no machining on the computer or out at the machine. How did you get your arched doors to nest? How good was the outcome?
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Chis,

I used a display panel(3/4\" MDF) because I needed a tall door with an arch on top and square panel on bottom. I machined very good. I think I used a 13/16 offset @ 7/16\" deep.

Brian
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Hi Chris...

We have had several problems with mdf doors and I'm not sure they have all been resolved yet.

First mdf doors are best sent through the profile modeler - however the profile modeler won't recognize the modeled regions if the CNC file is written from the batch.

Try writting your CNC file from the cabinet/assembly editor directly. If you bring the door into the cabinet editor on the lower left hand side bar is a CNC button - write your .twd file for the door from there and see if the profile modeler will then open it.

I'll take it into the shop with me tomorrow and check it for you on my machine as well.

Mark
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Mark,

You're as bad as me. I'll be at the shop tomorrow too. Isn't it Sunday? On a holiday weekend? Oh, the joys of being self-employed......
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Hey Brian....

Holidays (?) Weekends (?) - I guess it's the price we pay....

Chris - that door file seems to be corrupt...in the profile modeler all I get is a parasolid error referring to a corrupt material in the database. And, if I try to load it through the nest it craps out right away.

Was there a specific reason you made the door out of a cabinet part? If not, I would go back and try making it from a display panel. If you want to send me your tool file I'd be happy to take a look at it and try running it on my machine as well.

Happy President's day!

Mark
Chris Say

Post by Chris Say »

Hey guys, thanks for pursuing my MDF door concerns. I made the door out of a cabinet part hoping that the part would be stretchable. I found out quickly that is not possible even with constraint manager. I am trying to find the easiest and fastest way to make a MDF door. We have the profile tool bits tooled up in the machine. Instead of using profile modeler and \"modeling\" the route we were hoping to achieve the results quicker with these bits in the nest. I will attach the tool profiles for you to look at. There is actually the same route I am trying to duplicate in the CMT patterns. It looks as if we are a little ahead of the curve trying to circumvent to profile modeler.
Attachments
3_16 Rnd.tol
(5.55 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Panel Chamfer.tol
(5.4 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
3_16 Rnd.zip
(4.77 KiB) Downloaded 327 times