Purchasing Hardware Through Ecabs

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Lamar Horton

Purchasing Hardware Through Ecabs

Post by Lamar Horton »

Am I missing something or is this just the way it is? I recently designed a kitchen then picked all the hardware and was prepared to place an order through the ecabinets cooperative. The prices where reasonable albeit not fantastic, in fact my local supplier is a little less expensive but not so much to be a deal breaker. The problem comes with the shipping. It was going to cost more than $200.00 to ship the hinges, drawer slides and a few small odds and ends.

My queston is, is this the norm? I would like very much to use this feature but at these shipping rates it is cost prohibitive. What are your thoughts?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Lamar,
If you are purchasing items through the software using the shopping cart there are some problems with shipping charges.
(example. I ordered 1000 KV shelf pin grommets which don't fill half a 1 lb. coffee can and way only a few ounces through the software. Cost of items $50.00 and shipping $44.40 If I order those same grommets using the Member Store they are $50.00 for the grommets and $15.95 for shipping)
Order your items through the Member Store, not the Software and see if the shipping changes.
I wish the software shopping cart could be fixed as this makes ordering much simpler.
Kerry
Eric Shearn

Post by Eric Shearn »

Lamar,
Which items are you looking at purchasing through the software? We are working towards having the online webstore intergrated into the software You can go through the webstore as Kerry was saying and get a shipping cost that is link directly to UPS. If you could email me the list of items and I will check into what may be happening in the eCabinets Systems software. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Eric Shearn
eric.shearn@thermwood.com
Lamar Horton

Post by Lamar Horton »

I don't have the list any more. I would have to go back and relist the job. I will wait and do a comparison between the software and the online store on the next job.

Just quickly looking at the prices between the software and the online store, the prices are not consistant. (blum compact 33 hinge). Shipping for $8.00 worth of KV brass shelf pins was over $20.00. (through the software)

Does it make a difference if I order all the hardware from one vendor. Most of the time I use Blum for the hinges, KV for the slides, Rev a Shelf for lazy susans, etc. Does this impact the shipping costs?

BTW thanks for the quick replies.
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

I really believe Thermwood is missing the boat here. I am sold and I really want to support the program. It just seems that there is always some kind of problem. I hear that the prices are good but mostly they are not, compared to my local guys. But beyond that, I would be willing to pay slightly more to support the program. There always seem to be other issues, shipping charges, delivery times, selection, screws, or something.

The people are great and they will strive to resolve problems, but little guys like me usually buy supplies by the job so we don't have time to get issues resolved. When we order if we have to wait we are usually holding up the job.

Thanks for the great software. I do not want to get big enough to need a router. I will support the program by having parts cut by your users and look forward to the time when I can buy through the program.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I like to think of myself as eCabinets #1 cheerleader. I have no problem extolling the virtues of the software and it's creators to anyone, but I find that I force myself to buy through the system out of loyalty and not because it is the best deal around.

I purchase everything over the Internet. If I have to make a phone call to a vendor I rarely use them again and I forbid salesmen from dropping by or calling to waste my time.

Here is what I expect from an on line hardware vendor.

A large selection of items and an on line favorites catalog so I can quickly order frequently used items. (eCabinets has these)
Immediate email confirmation of an order with a list of back ordered or unavailable items.
An email shipping confirmation with tracking information directly to the shipper including tracking numbers so I know what day my hardware is to arrive.
Timely processing and shipping of orders. Most places I order hardware from will ship withing 24 hours. I can place an order on Monday and have the items by Friday. Doors never take over ten business days.
Competitive shipping rates. If a company needs handling charges I would much rather they be added to the price of items so I know beforehand what my costs are. There is nothing worse than taking the time to place an order, thinking you are getting a fair deal and being hit with exorbitant handling or unreasonable shipping charges at the end of the order.

The team at Thermwood always bend over backward to help with any issues that occur through purchasing but some of their vendors are not nearly as considerate or efficient.

I hope that in the future that many of the issues with purchasing can be resolved so that the eCabinets Member Store will be the first place we all look for supplies. I would really like to finish a drawing, go to the shopping cart in the software, click \"Order Now\" and not think twice about it.

Kerry
David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Post by David Egnoski »

I'm with you Kerry. Your list of expectations is right on the mark. So far, I haven't been buying through the Member Store because I have a vendor close by and they meet most of your requirements. I do, however, expect to be buying through the Member Store at some point. As you said, design the cabinet and click, the parts are ordered.
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork
Ray Jorgensen
Company Name: Classic Custom Wood

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

I agree that some tweeking needs to be done. That being said, since finding the ecabs software and understanding the underlying concepts behind the whole program, I am ordering everything I can through the system.
Scott Chase

the problem is really noticeable with small parts

Post by Scott Chase »

I noticed the shipping price problem last fall ordering shelf pins and inserts. The store price for inserts is .02. great price $2.00 for 100. UPS ground shipping is $10.36 plus 9% tax, total being $13.47. Wow! Anybody that knows these parts know that 100 pieces can be held in one hand.
I understand shipping involves a box and tape and hands to get it to UPS. If you order 300, that is $6.00 in pieces, shipping is $15.64 and $1.95 for tax total $23.59.
Almost done here.
If you order 1000 pieces, that is $20.00 (1000 of these can fit in a sandwich bag). Shipping is $37.31, tax is $5.19 for a total of $62.90. 1000 pieces ways probably 1 pound or less.

I just ordered $200 worth of product from rockler. My order came in 2 big boxes, they arrived in 3 days and the shipping was around $12.00. I know that rockler gets you on prices but at least they are fair with shipping.

I don't even look in the store anymore because of the shipping problem, when it gets fixed, I will try the store again.
Eric Shearn

Post by Eric Shearn »

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate all your comments and we will be looking into the issues that were brought up. We are actually working on integrating the Member Store with the eCabinet Systems softwar to improve the overall buying experience in eCabinets. Please let us know if you see a issue with an order, such as shipping being incorrect or any other issues, so that we can investigate. We are continually doing improvements on the store to help improve your buying experience and if you have any suggestions, please feel to email or call me.

Eric
800-533-6901 ext.238
Lamar Horton

Post by Lamar Horton »

Forgive my ignorance Eric, but how are we supposed to know if an error is made in the shipping charges?

Also, Is there a reason ecabinets does not offer the complete line of any given vendors product?

Lamar
Eric Shearn

Post by Eric Shearn »

Hello Lamar,
The shipping cost should be correct. There may be rare instances where the weight has been entered incorrectly, which will show the shipping cost significantly higher, but if you let us know we will take care of the issue. Since the release of the new Member Store, we have been able to improve the whole buying experience and resolve the shipping cost issues.
As for the vendor products, we have to go through distributors on some of our products, so we are only able to offer what they offer. Which vendor would you be referring to? If you could give us an idea of what you would like to see in the store, we can see about adding it to the program.

Eric
Scott Chase

Post by Scott Chase »

Eric,
The problem is not fixed. I noticed the shipping problems last fall but those prices were from last night. I just checked again as well and they didn't change today. Here is the item name \"Wood Technology - WT-8271.001.014 – Shelf Support Sleeve\".
Thank you,
Scott
JacK Krantz

Member Store

Post by JacK Krantz »

I too have been trying too buy some things from the member store. I placed an order last tuesday, and havn't recieved my order or a confirmation e-mail. If I check my account it says pending. Is it typical for orders to take a week or more?
Jack
Eric Shearn

Post by Eric Shearn »

Jack,

Your order for one of the Finishing Schedules shipped Friday ground service. We are adding the tracking number to your account.

Thank You,

Eric