MDF Door Causes Excessive Memory Allocation

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jeff Whippo

MDF Door Causes Excessive Memory Allocation

Post by Jeff Whippo »

Ecab 5 Build 12)

Found a weird problem today. Wanted to change existing kitchen that had door/drawer fronts from \"alternate source\" to a MDF door that I customized with inside/outisde profiles to create a one piece mdf door. When I started, the esj file was about 10 Meg. The first thing I noticed when I started changing doors (from the custom layout area) is that the operation took a long time (several minutes with say 6 cabinets selected). Then I noticed that after I was done, the nesting would not work and would \"hang\". Have a total of 19 cabinets. Ran into memory limitations when trying to save file - had to change a door at a time and save, door at a time, save, etc, etc. Noticed that that 10Meg esj had more than doubled by the time I had changed all my doors to that one piece mdf door.

Computer is a dell Precision M70 with 1Gig Ram. Not sure what video is in it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff Whippo
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Jeff

Do you have a lot of drawer boxes in the cabinets? Also, pulls, certain moldings (rope molding for one) and complex doors/drawer fronts will cause a lot of memory usage.
Jeff Whippo

Post by Jeff Whippo »

Dan

Nope just 19 upper/base cabinets and a total of 5 drawers. Nothing fancy, no molding, etc, etc, other than the attempt at adding one piece raised panel mdf doors. With each door I added, the system bogged down even more. Lots of times when doing a file/save, I'd get an \"out of memory\" error and simply could not save. Then I'd reboot, come back in, change one more door to raised panel mdf, save (maybe) and repeat the process untill they were all saved. Then when I go to the nest area and to the next, the system hangs. Actually, hang may not be a good word - it was probably actually doing the nest, was just taking a very long time. I killed ecab after about 15 minutes.

Jeff
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Jeff,

give me a call at 1-800-221-3865, ask for Daniel in software support. I want to check a couple of settings on your machine reguarding the out of memory error.