Custom Desktop question

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Michael Billings

Custom Desktop question

Post by Michael Billings »

I was reading the forum a couple of weeks ago and read something about customizing the windows desktop so that all the toolbars and taskbars were all vertical, that is, running up the side of the screen instead of across the top. When I tried to find it again, I came up empty. I tried searching and browsing but could not find it again. The windows help was, well, no help.
Does anyone remember this or know where it is? I would like to try it as it would give me more vertical space on the screen for the cabinet rather than toolbars.
Thanks
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Michael,
Just click on the little grip at the start of each toolbar and drag them wherever you want.
Kerry
Attachments
screen_01.jpg
screen_01.jpg (144.92 KiB) Viewed 10726 times
Kent Holdeman

Post by Kent Holdeman »

Michael
Also on the windows taskbar you can grab it with left click anywhere in the center and then drag it where you want. Or you can right click on the taskbar, hit properties and choose auto hide. Then the taskbar stays out of the way until you move your mouse down there.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Try dual screens! Workspace on one, bars on the other.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Rick Palechuk wrote:Try dual screens! Workspace on one, bars on the other.
Why not quads? eCabinets on one, eCabinets Made Easy on one, TV (or video) on one and everything else on the 4th one.
Paul Huff

Post by Paul Huff »

Ok I gotta get in on this one. Imagine your whole wall as a monitor and everything you want and more on your wall anytime you want it. Just say computer beam me up. But this is way out in the distant future probably about 3 years or more. I cheated a bit here because I watched a Windows Vista demo and Bill Gates was changing a whole room like changing your Windows background. So in reality this is all already possible.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Yes! I believe up to twenty monitors.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member

Post by Rick Palechuk »

You have a quad setup don'tcha Dan 8)
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Paul Huff wrote:Ok I gotta get in on this one. Imagine your whole wall as a monitor and everything you want and more on your wall anytime you want it. Just say computer beam me up. But this is way out in the distant future probably about 3 years or more. I cheated a bit here because I watched a Windows Vista demo and Bill Gates was changing a whole room like changing your Windows background. So in reality this is all already possible.
Bill Gates has had a "monitor/TV wall" in his house for about 15 years or so. It used a custom implementation of Windows to tie it all together and this might be where some of the current multiple monitor ideas came from.

Personally, I like the "heads up" display in the bathroom mirror that allows you to watch the morning news/weather while you shave. You know the one I'm talking about--it's on a TV commercial--and it already exists.

I personally think the next 20 years in technology will amaze even those of us that take technology for granted now. The smart phone, in my opinion, will be the "hub" of our working and leisure lives. It will have more computing power than today's workstations and will be able to wirelessly interface with "monitors" built into bathroom mirrors and such. In fact, I see the monitor as we know it becoming a thin, foldable piece of plastic that you can carry in your pocket and unfold when you need it--the cocktail napkin of the future. This "cocktail napkin" monitor will of course be a touch screen that you can write on directly. Keyboards will no longer exist as voice recognition comes into its own as the preferred human interface.

I could go on but I need another cup of coffee... :shock:
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Re:

Post by Mike Seisser »

DanEpps wrote:Personally, I like the "heads up" display in the bathroom mirror that allows you to watch the morning news/weather while you shave. You know the one I'm talking about--it's on a TV commercial--and it already exists.
I was gonna post a picture of a closet cabinet I built a few years ago that incorporated a TV visible through a mirror, (closet/bathroom share a wall), but it seems I've reached my maximum upload quota. WTF? :o We've done a few of these over the years.......
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Mike Seisser wrote:I was gonna post a picture of a closet cabinet I built a few years ago that incorporated a TV visible through a mirror, (closet/bathroom share a wall), but it seems I've reached my maximum upload quota. WTF? :o We've done a few of these over the years.......
In the forum topic index, click on your name and you can go to the user control panel and delete old attachments
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Mike Seisser »

DanEpps wrote:
Mike Seisser wrote:I was gonna post a picture of a closet cabinet I built a few years ago that incorporated a TV visible through a mirror, (closet/bathroom share a wall), but it seems I've reached my maximum upload quota. WTF? :o We've done a few of these over the years.......
In the forum topic index, click on your name and you can go to the user control panel and delete old attachments
If I do that, will the pics I've uploaded remain in their respective posts?
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Nope. I usually delete old or no longer relevant attachments.
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Mike Seisser »

DanEpps wrote:Nope. I usually delete old or no longer relevant attachments.
Relevance....hmmmm. I'll have to check all my old posts.

Thanks Dan, happy Friday to ya.

Mike
Michael Billings

Post by Michael Billings »

Kerry,
When I first read your post on \"simply grabbing the grip on the bar and dragging it to where you want it\", I felt rather stupid. I mean, duh! But as it turned out, I did not have grips and I couldn't grab them. I tried minimizing and making sure my whole window was visible on the screen, but to no avail. However, on my other computer, I have grips and it works! So, it wasnt my stupidity (at least not that time).
An interesting note: You know the little pop-up descriptions that materialize when you point at a button? They dont work when the menu bars are vertical. Go figure.
Thanks
Mike