how do I cut this piece on the router?

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Roger Erismann

how do I cut this piece on the router?

Post by Roger Erismann »

Need to cut a seried of pieces like this for a large project....I made it using the display panel and display board function(tried it both ways)...but it will not nest...

I was able to create a TWD however when I went to the router to get it cut there was nothing in the file(or control nesting didn't see it) whatever the case it isn't getting cut as is...
Attachments
slatwall.jpg
slatwall.jpg (39.18 KiB) Viewed 11421 times
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

Sorry the dimensions are

4\"x102\"x 1/2\"

the material to be cut is red oak
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

hee is one of the parts
Attachments
slat17thru24.esa
(49.66 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Roger

You have to zip assembly files before posting.
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

here it is zipped up
Attachments
slat57thru60.zip
(2.26 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Roger,

The file that you have zipped is only the pict. of the part you've designed. In order for anyone to be able to open for edit and review, you will need to submit the .esa (if saved as assembly) file or .hsf (if saved as cabinet).

I would also like to know what version of Control Nesting Your running, so that we can be compaired this issue apples for apples.

Thanks!
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

I saved it as an assembly .esa?

here it is again:

I am not at work right now so I really don't know...I am a cabinet maker at a large company and when I'm given a job to fab (usually a drawing) I try to run as many parts through the router as possible without bogging down the drafting department...

when I created the TWD I edited the part in the cabinet design editor and created the file from there(the same way that I read about when doing doors a couple of posts below)
Attachments
slat74thru80.zip
(19.11 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

BTW when the part is edited I am not given the option to save as cabinet...only assembly
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

here it is as a job file
Attachments
slats.zip
(414.75 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
Ryan Hochgesang

Roger,

I created a twd from the file you've supplied and I am also unable to see the part on the Load (Control Nesting) screen of Control Nesting. I then decided to redraw the part myself, using a display panel listed as 1/2\" thick material and the same dimensions you've supplied, and was able to load and nest the part I created. In order to verify that this situation is not a Control Nesting issue, I reverted back several versions to verify both files(yours & mine).

I would suggest that you ensure your running updated version of eCab and redraw part using display panel approach. Keep me updated on your progress and I'll continue to research this issue.

Thanks!
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

when you created the twd...did you do it from the cabinet design editor? after editing the part.

using the little button on the bottom left

I tried it as a display panel(also as a cabinet side) and it would not nest in e-cabs.....does that mean it won't nest at the machine?

I will get with the CNC guy and see what version he is running; althoug I do remember him saying that he was uploading an update about a week ago...

Thanks for your time...
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
Ryan Hochgesang

Roger,

I did create the twd directly from Cabinet Editor (CNC button at bottom lft.). I also placed part in room and saved as job to write cnc that method with good results here. Nesting in eCab is similar to nesting at machine, but they are different software entities. At this point, this doesn't seem to be a control nesting issue, as I stated, I've reverted back through several versions to ensure I got same results as I'm seeing in current version (5.18).
Nemanja Vujkovic

Post by Nemanja Vujkovic »

I'm CNC operator where Roger works.
We got it to nest, but it nests it with outline cut which we cannot have.
The material that we are going to use is same size as the finish product.
Can this be done on the CNC??? If it can how?
Ryan Hochgesang

This can be done using the Scrap Part Recovery option in Control Nesting (LOAD Screen). Then, to omit the Outline cut, you will need to go into SETTINGS and select the option \"No Outline Cuts\" (To the rt hand side of settings screen). Of course you will have to place one part at a time to machine. Machining finished parts has just became an option within the last few releases of Control Nesting.
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

Thanks Ryan,

We will be cutting parts on it tommorow...there is about 700 holes to bore in 92 slats ....wait it gets better...the alignment of the wall unit is entirely dependent on the holes lining up....wait it gets even better...only three dowels run top to bottom the others are at different levels in the structure(just kind of hanging there)....18 different hole patterns....unfortunately I allready did them on display boards so I gotta go through and do it again with display panels....LOL but I am sure it will be more accurate and easier than building a table, extension and setting the stops on a drill press....not to mention actually boring out the holes...

Any good ideas for holding this stuff down?
Wood Butcher/Case Maker