MDF One Piece Shaker Doors

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Rob Perry

MDF One Piece Shaker Doors

Post by Rob Perry »

I Can't seem to figure out how to design a One piece Shaker MDF Door. It seems only a innner profile can be done. Anyone done this. I'm not using a router yet.
Rob
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Post by Joe Soto »

Rob, if you mean a square edge stile and rail, flat recessed panel, I dont think you can with the mdf door editor, but you can use a standard slab door, and cut a pocket or two if you need a double panel. You will have to constrain the pockets if you plan on resizing the cabinet.
Joe
Rob Perry

Post by Rob Perry »

How do you cut a pocket in a Slab MDF Door? I am unable to get the slab door into parts editor to cut a pocket. It seems odd to me that a Shaker One piece MDF door cannot be done in Door Editor. I do this type of door a lot and and need to be able to use Change Doors Feature to access this type of door.
Rob
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Post by Joe Soto »

Rob, You can edit a standard slab door made of mdf but not a mdf slab door. I dont know why. I remember a post where Thermwood was working on adding something to the door editor, also I think Brian Shannon was working on a beadboard mdf door, maybe he knows a better way to do this.
Joe
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

Click here to read a post from last week about 1 piece resizeable MDF doors.
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

The beaded door I made before was a display panel that was not resizable. I did make a resizable MDF Shaker door from a slab door after reading Joe's reply. I made it with a zero thickness banding, took it into Part Editor, created outline, copied that at 2 1/4\" over, cut that out at 5/16\" deep, then set constraints. It seems to resize good altough cannot be saved as a door. You have to do this to all doors in your library or just set up a single cabinet like this. Hope this helps.

Brian
Rob Perry

Post by Rob Perry »

Brian, I did the same after reading joes post as well. Saved it as a assembly and put it on the Custom layout. Everything was going well until I realized the Doors Did not show up on custom layout although when I went to Cutlist they were there :? Changing them all in the Library or by editing each one seems like a time consuming task. This door style is very popular for me. I was Quite suprised when I realized I could not do them in Door Editor. Doing 1 Piece MDF Doors would be my first reason for getting a CNC. However for the most part I am Impressed with this software and Have learned a lot from reading this Forum ( Thanks Everyone ) :D and from E-Cabinets made easy and Lots and lots of Trial & Error ..
Rob
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Rob a one piece shaker style is not something I would make. It is more efficient and less messy to make a one piece frame and drop in a centre panel. We design a frame with rebate in CAD and them machine it on the CS40 as well as a centre panel in a thinner material which can be loaded as a panel job. Can you imagine the dust created cutting a pocket that large besides the time taken?
Rob Perry

Re:

Post by Rob Perry »

Nick M Singer wrote:Rob a one piece shaker style is not something I would make. It is more efficient and less messy to make a one piece frame and drop in a centre panel. We design a frame with rebate in CAD and them machine it on the CS40 as well as a centre panel in a thinner material which can be loaded as a panel job. Can you imagine the dust created cutting a pocket that large besides the time taken?
We've been making the one Piece shaker doors for a few years using a Router Jig Table I Made a few years ago. The Router is hooked up to the Dustcollector. 99% of the Dust is Sucked away unless to many other gates are open. It takes less than 2 Minuites to router out a door approx 30 x 12. There is no Lacquer Crack Lines to wory about with this method. I have done them with the seperate panel route in the past and prefer the one piece method. I would think it would be very fast to make them on a CNC 1 4x8 Sheet at a time.
Rob