How wide?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Geo Noeth

How wide?

Post by Geo Noeth »

I am building a computer desk with a top from 3/4 plywood. The top is a display panel, it will be sitting on some cabinets.

The customer wants the top panel to be 4' by6' with a rectangle cut out leaving an L shaped top. I get a warning that this top and a shelf above will not nest. I assume that the reason is because I am trying to use the full width of the plywood on the 'el' portion. Is there any way around this since I really do not want any cutting done in this area, just leaving what's already there?

If there is no other option, what is the largest width that I can get from 48' sheet goods?

I guess I could do it on the table saw like the cave men used to do.
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

I believe I see your problem: 48' sheet goods are very difficult to come by these days. Try reducing the size of your desk to accomodate 48\" sheet goods. :wink:

This caveman thinks you should change the size of your sheet goods in the Settings/Preferences to either 48 1/2\" or 49\". That should do it.

This post will now become the subject of a Geico insurance commercial. :lol:
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

Mike if I change the size in the materials, can I still have it cut on a router?
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Geo,
You would get best results if you started with oversize material to get the full 48\" your looking for. It is very common. The router needs some material to square up the sheet for best results.
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

George,

If you need maple ply I can get 48.5 x 96.5 if that will help. If you set your nesting collar at 0 you should get 48 wide to nest.

Forrest
Denis L'Heureux
Guru Member

Post by Denis L'Heureux »

you could also remove the collar around the sheet. This way you can use a normal sheet of stock.