Parts editor Limitation?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Tim Massa

Parts editor Limitation?

Post by Tim Massa »

Hi all,
I was wondering if there is any way to take a part into the part editor and edit the part on more than the front and back view? Say you had a big ol' block of wood and you wanted to pierce and create tool paths on the side of the part as well as the top and bottom. All I can figure is that you are limited to the Z-plane of the object as it was loaded into the cab assembly editor. Hope the question isn't to simple. I'm still learning.

Thanks,
Tim
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Not at all Tim...in fact your question isn't really simple at all.

Basically, the simple answer to your question is yes - you can only edit the object brought into the editor from the front or back face.

However - if you search the archives of customer tools you will find a variety of creative tools that have been developed to produce cuts on the other planes of the object from the front and/or back of the object.

Paul Huff is pretty slick with his ideas and tools...in fact he usually will post a .jpg and a .pdf with instructions.

Here's a link to one of his tools and design: http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4808

Mark
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

The part editor is limited to a degree, but there are solutions. For example.

This hood was cut on three sides.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Thanks Mike and Mark,
To follow up on this question I noticed that the candlestick created by the tool chain, in Pauls tool demo, was rotatong around the \"Z\" axis. Is there any way to bisect the \"Z\" axis with another cut? I guess what I should hope for is a more \"Sketch Up\" approach to the parts editor where it can model in a more straightforeward way as does in Sketch Up. What would be really handy is if the View selection had 'left' and 'right' as well as front and back. I'll search out the tool examples of Paul's and see if there is some workaround solutions to this issue. Mike, assuming the hood started out as a display cube, what could you do if you wanted a hole, shape or notchout created in the side of the hood? Neat shape by the way.

Regards,
Tim
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Obviously...Mike's pretty quick on the draw as well - looks good Mike, I like the natural stucco or clay look! We just finished installing cabinetry in a home that the entire inside was finished in \"American Clay\" - really a fantastic look!

But, back to the point....Tim, when you get to what seems like a block wall - look for the creative solution. It's pretty amazing what powerful software this is...and the forum is pretty powerful too!

Mark
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

This is a display cube. And I haven't tried to place a hole but I think once the cuts have been made no other geometry can be applied.

Given that be the case one would need to draft all the cuts at one time.
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

You can manipulate the Part Editor to do whatever you want, by planning your display cube/board/panel to be oriented to your advantage when you create it. After that it's a matter of creating your tools to work on the side of the piece or the top of the piece. If you need holes drilled after you've profiled the piece, create a quick tool in the shape that you need and make your path only as deep as you need it drilled.

In the image below, all 4 sides were tapered first, then the rectangular mortises were cut, then the holes were drilled.

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

Great looking piece Mike.

Took some planning eh?
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Re:

Post by Mike Seisser »

Michael Yeargain wrote:Great looking piece Mike.

Took some planning eh?
Mike,

Yes, you have to outthink the Part Editor for something like this. I made my display cube 4" w x 4" h x 48" d. I created a tool to taper from the 0,0 origin point down to -1" on the x axis, -48" on the y axis. It's applied to all 4 edges in the default view when you take the cube into Part Editor - you can either do all 4 individually, or select 'Chain' and it does all 4 sides in one pass.

After that I made a rectangular tool and a circular tool. In Part Editor, in Contour mode, I drew a path using the line tool that intersected the piece in the center of the cube in both directions, and made sure it was extended beyond the piece. Back in Part Editor I chose the paths individually, and changed my plunge depth to place my mortises and holes at the depth I needed them.

It's a pretty rudimentary example using basic shapes, but what anyone does with it is really only limited by their imagination (if not their available time).

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

It's a pretty rudimentary example using basic shapes, but what anyone does with it is really only limited by their imagination (if not their available time).

Mike

If it weren't for money or time (or should I say the lack of either one)I'd be camping right now. :wink:
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Great example of how not to think like a table saw. If your creative, the software will do almost anything.
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Mike,
That was really impressive. My brain started to perspire when I followed your explanation of how you made the tapered leg. I need to get where you are at with the part editor. I agree that this software is awesome. Can't see how you can do without it after using it. Still, seems like an obvious area for improvement on an already incredible peice of software. Workarounds are fine, so long as there is no other option open to us. Cant help but think that a left/right option would really open things up and diminish the time and opportunity for mistakes in this area. Here's what i've been able to do with it so far. Don't really know if it can be fabed on a CNC, though. Have to go back and get my head around the shape manager/parts editor relationship more fully. Thanks for all the help and the examples sent. The help here is awesome!

Tim
Attachments
Bare corner.esj
(2.83 MiB) Downloaded 330 times
greg youngken
Company Name: Grali inc.

Post by greg youngken »

someone once told me you could make crown moulding on a table saw with a regular saw blade. I did not believe it untill I tried it, and you actually can make crown moulding on a tablesaw :idea:
Grali inc. / Greg Youngken
grali.com
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

Sure, just place a jig to run your material at an angle to the blade. Lower the blade to about +1/8\" and run the stock across the blade (with extreme caution) Raise the blade in incs of about 1/8\" each pass until desired depth to get the cove. You may need to turn the jig to achieve the desired radius your cove should be...

You can also cut a round hole in a sheet of ply... :lol:

FOR THE RECORD I am not suggesting to try this because it can be very dangerous...
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Jeff Blewitt

Post by Jeff Blewitt »

Does anybody know how well a display board/pannel machines on the CNC once you get past the simple profile cuts and into some of these complex designs. Is there anything special you need to do?
-Jeff