Out Of Memory Error

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

I have the TM open 24-7 and I never get big spikes like that. :?
I guess that's a good thing.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

You don't get anything like this if you take a room layout into the Line Drawing Editor?

This is the error dialog I get everytime with this room when I try to make a second copy in LDE.
Attachments
Memory Usage at Hoops error.jpg
Memory Usage at Hoops error.jpg (73.92 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
Memory Usage - Hoops error.jpg
Memory Usage - Hoops error.jpg (27.45 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Ouch! I haven't had to dodge that bullet.
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

I would like to shed some light on this subject. There have been many cases reported on the \"Out of Memory\" error. Majority of these cases have been found upon saving a job. We are diligently working on a new saving strategy to minimize memory usage in this process.

The case with the Line Drawing Editor is a different scenario. Dan, this job you are working with contains some large geometrical data which is 'pushing the envelope'. The majority of the data is from pulls and rope moldings. We recommend to you and all our users to restrain from using these components until final layout steps. Extruded moldings are not too large. It is the repeated moldings (especially the rope) that introduce large amounts of data. If the need for pulls and rope moldings can be avoided in the Line Drawing Editor it is highly advised. We are continuing to improve the performance in this and all areas. Unfortunately the more data you introduce the more memory you will need. Future updates will help alleviate this problem, but until then a minimized approach is your best bet.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Thanks for the input Larry.

Pushing the envelope? Looks more like I was breaking it :lol:

I knew that rope molding and pulls used a lot of memory but I didn't think it would be that significant on something as small as that layout.

I removed all of the moldings and pulls, exited eCabinets and loaded the job again.

This time I was able to create multiple copies of the room layout in the Line Drawing Editor. I stopped after 10 pages of copying the layout and memory usage was about 557MB--MUCH lower!

Granted, the test I just ran is not something one would normally do--10 pages of a complete room layout--but it is good to know that I can do that.

The data structures for moldings and pulls must be gigantic as the file size is only about 3.8MB smaller now (14MB vs 17.8MB).

Also interesting is that memory usage no longer doubled with each new copy of the layout in the LDE. It just may be that if you can optimize memory requirements for moldings and pulls, we will see dramatic improvements in performance.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Larry and team Thermwood,

I am no genius to software development with obvious reasons. However I have given this some thought.

Let's say the LDEs are imported and dims are applied notes etc. for a completed draft. Now what if there were the ability to click and save or convert that draft within the LDE in a JPG format instead of the native whatever that may be for e_cab. (dfx maybe)? This will minimize the file size by incorporating jpg's instead of dxf's.

I think I know enough to believe that once this is done the conversion is no longer usable in regard to adding dims. But notes could still be added.

Like I said I don't know the lingo but I hope my verbiage drew a picture worth a thousand words.

Just trying to contribute to the betterment of this invaluable asset. e_cabinets systems.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member

Post by Rick Palechuk »

I think it's all in how the LDE works Mike. All the info you put into the item or layout your creating is in the LDE. You have the ability to explore all three axis which accounts for alot of info. I'm sure most of us could work just fine with a simple 2D drawing of multiple views, but that's not the nature of the program. And what a complete program eh! From screen to machine and nothing in the middle. Keep up the good work team.
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

I like your idea Mike. An option to store as image is definately possible. As you stated it would eliminate the ability to add dimensions or objects. A little additional work would need to be accomplished to allow additional text/tables/notes/leaders. I'll make a note of it and as we progress with the LDE maybe something can be done. Thanks for the input!
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Quite welcome Thermwood team.

Need another programer? :shock:

Just kidding..

I'll stick to building cabinets...
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

To some lesser degree you can already accomplish what your talking about with saving as a .jpg. You can \"take a picture\" of the LDE...although it doesn't save within the program, it's primarily the idea Mike's suggesting.

I have used it on a number of jobs where we are doing mutliple drawings. Simply press the camera button once the drawing is complete and save the .jpg to a job folder. Then you can delete the page or drawing. Obviously you need to be completed with the drawing or your starting over. Although, you can still open the .jpg in a photo/drawing editor and add text or a variety of other things.

I do agree with Mike's train of thought however, as it would be convenient to be able to pull the illustrations back up while in eCabinets vs another program.

Mark