Problem Saving Cabinets in Vista

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

ScotAcree
Company Name: Scot Acree Woodworkig LLC

Problem Saving Cabinets in Vista

Post by ScotAcree »

I read all the warnings about running Vista, but I had to make the change, because I bought a new laptop and only Vista was offered.

I was thinking about setting up a duo-boot running XP, but thought I would try to see if Vista would work first before spending the extra money.

I've also read Rick Destin's post on page 5, March 4th, about how to set up and run Vista. I have gone through that method.

Here's the problem: When in the Cabinet Editor, I bring up a standard cabinet and make changes, then save the cabinet to the directory with a new name, everything works fine. Then I hit the New icon to start over, bring the cabinet back up, make changes to the cabinet, then hit Save, I get an error that says, \"An unname file contains an invalid path.\" So the only way I am able to save the changes that I have made is to give it a new name. Then I have multiple cabinets in the directory.

If I try to exit out of the cabinet that crashed, then click New, it says, \"There are unsaved files in the current assembly.\" So the only way I can delete the cabinet is to completely exit out of e-Cabinets.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scot
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Until eCabinets is certified to run on Vista, you will have to use a new name each time you save the cabinet.

On the bright side, you will always have prior versions of the cabinet in case you need to revert to an earlier version.
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

Scott,

Once you successfully save the changed Standard Cabinet with a new filename, and successfully reload the newly saved cabinet, are you then trying to overwrite the new file or are you saving with yet another new name?

I have a similar problem in Windows XP 64bit and my workaround is to give the file a unique filename every time I save it. For example, Back Bar Base v1 Back Bar Base v2 Back Bar Base v3 etc.....

This does 2 things for me: lets me know at a glance which version is current, and saves me from redoing all my changes should the most current file become corrupted.

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Scot,

I have already passed this along to the programmers but one other thing that I've noticed is that the cab actually does save with changes but when you try to delete and load new cab the old will not dissapear. Is this happening to you as well?

Forrest
ScotAcree
Company Name: Scot Acree Woodworkig LLC

Post by ScotAcree »

Dan, thanks for being positive.

Mike, I was trying to overwrite, but once I made changes, it would not let me. So I then started saving each cabinet to a different name. Also, I cannot delete prior cabs by checking the box and clicking \"delete all checked items.\"

Forrest, Yes that is happening to me, too. How do you delete the cabinet once it is there? I should check to see if the cabinet is actually saving like you said.

Thanks, Scot
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Scott,

I have to close down everytime. I tried just going to batch then back (still there). Tried going into batch and loading a cab then going to nest. The ghost cab shows in nest screen as well. Justin at Thermwood told me to update my graphics card. I'm doing that now. Will report back.

Forrest