Help with DXF file

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Help with DXF file

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi all,
Just wondering if someone would be able to help me out with the attached DXF file. I had it emailed to me from one of our customers but the splines need to be changed to an Arc. I dont have any software that would allow me to change this and i'm not sure if it can be edited or if it needs to be re-drawn. If someone would be able to give me some advise or fix this file for me it would be very much appreciated :)
Thanks in advance for any help.
Paul.
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Paul...apparently the file didn't get attached

try again and I will be happy to take a look at it for you.

Mark
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Mark,
Sorry, I'm REALLY bad for that! I forgot to Zip it.
I have attached the file, I just redrew it in eCabinets but would like to see if the DXF file will work at the machine aswell for future reference.
Thanks heaps!
Attachments
SMPBT1200.zip
(3.75 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Hi Paul. your DXF outline will nest just fine as is, however there are some other concerns beside the one you had about the spline. You have a second outline geometry in the drawing describing a circular cut out, this will not nest, there can only be one outline object. It would be best to do this as a pocket or as a chaincompin op. The dado operation will also not work as currently drawen. it needs to be a continuous bounded object to describe the area you want dadoed. viz. a rectangle not a single line, you could do this using a centreline layer if your cutter specified is as wide as the groove required
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Hey Paul...

This link will get you to the online manuel which has a pretty good description of working with dxf files and the associated naming of layers.http://order.ecabinetsystems.com/update ... Manual.htm

Mark
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Nick and Mark,
Thanks very much for your help. I will have a look at all of this sometime soon. I managed to draw this one up in eCabinets really easily but it would be good for this customer to be able to email the dxf to me straight to the machine.
Thanks,
Paul.
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Hi Paul. Your customer should be able to do so, but you would still need to input the appropriate cutter diameters in the layer names unless the client happened to know them up to the point of machining. Hope things work out alright
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Nick,
Thank you very much for that. I will do my best to keep him up to date on the cutter diameters. He usually calls me before sending a job so it should be easy enough for him to change before sending it to me. That way I can wait a while before spending money on a Cad program!! :)