spline tool

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark Taylor
Guru Member

spline tool

Post by Mark Taylor »

I've been trying to create curved crown molding in the part editor. In the shape manager I was using the spline tool to create the necessary curve needed for the crown.

The spline tool doesn't act like any of the other tools...you cannot extend the length of it with the tool - you cannot trim the ends of it with a crossing line, circle or arc nor can I move it with the move tool.

This is the first time I have used the spline tool...so I'm not sure if it is working correctly or not (?)

Thanks
Mark
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Post by Leo Graywacz »

You might as well not even use it. The program does not handle the spline well at all and the routers will not cut anything using the spline because it cannot be turned into a mathematical equation. You will need to figure out a way to make the curves you require with arcs. This way the program can integrate them into useful information.
Dell Precision 7710
Intel Core i7-6820HQ @ 2.70GHz 16.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
512 GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 SSD
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

http://lrgwood.com
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Mark,

I had this problem with a bar rail I made. If you need to layout your shape with spline, you can. Then trace over that with 3 point arcs. After that, you can erase the spline and clean up what's left using line extend and trim. Hope this helps.

Brian