Corner cabinet questions

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Rolf Bergstrom

Corner cabinet questions

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

I am having a couple of issues with corner cabinets.
1. When creating the top as a Top Stretcher the back stretcher is created as a single \"L\" shaped piece which takes a big chunk out of the sheet when nested. I know I can make it another material to make it work but it would be nice if you did not have to.
2. Need to create Dados Blind Dado at the fronts of the left and right panels and Full Dado at the backs of these panels as well as all three of the back panels. With me so far? Basically Full Dado everywhere except the exposed front edges. I can get the side panels to work okay using the various Tenon Settings so I get a Blind Dado in the front and a Full Dado through the back but no matter what I do I cannot seem to get a Full Dado in the three back panels. Is this a miter issue, that is, at the back angle corner it is assumed all of the edges will be mitered and the miter cut will remove the material? If so, that causes me a bit of a problem because my client doesn't cut his backs like that. He only miters the the two long backs and then butts the angled corner. Now that I have written this I guess it is kind of moot since I can't make that back corner in eCabs so the sizes of these pieces would be wrong anyway but I spent the time to type it out so I am going to leave it.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Rolf Bergstrom,

It is easier to use applied stretchers for the top back stretcher you are having nesting problems with.

As far as the dados are concerned, you have a delima; if your client can't cut his backs at a 90 deg. instead of having three piece backs. The back can be made a 90 deg instead of having three pieces by changing the corner gap to \"0\" in the corner settings of the construction settings dialog.

The software does assume that the backs will be mitered by removing the 22 1/2 deg angle from the part. It is included in the size so that the part will be the correct size after it is mitered.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Rolf Bergstrom

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

Thanks Michael, understand. They do make 3 piece backs and I am trying to make eCabs work with their current methods which have been in place for a while. This is not to say they won't change as we go forward, but I just started consulting with them and I want to try and minimize disruption as they transition to eCabs.
I'll try the applied stretchers on the tops.
Thanks again.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Rolf

Like Mike says, the extra length is added to the panels, it just doesn't graphically show the miters.
Rolf Bergstrom

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

Yes, I understand that the miters are not shown and for that reason I understand why the dados don't show cut thru on the backs where the miters would be. Like I said however, this part is moot because eCabs won't do the backs like the client does them so the sizes won't be correct anyway.
BUT, that aside, now that I go back to my cabinet and look at the rest of my dados, they are not correct on the left and right corners of the back as I thought they were. I don't think I can explain it clearly so I am going see if I can figure it out and if not I will post with a picture.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Rolf,

This would be the perfect time to post your cabinet so we can be more affective help.

Forrest
Rolf Bergstrom

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

Okay, I have taken the Standard Frameless Corner Base and made only the required dado mods. It is in the previous post but I will reiterate:
All dados should be Full Dado except at the front edges that are edgebanded so a combination of Full and Blind Dado is used with the Tenon settings to get the desired results. Note the difference between the left rear corners and the right rear corners at the top and bottom. Explode the cabinet and you will see the dados in the Top and the Bottom plow all the way through on the right but stop short on the left. They should plow through on both sides. You can see as you roll the explode back and forth that this actually creates an interference. Take the cabinet to nest and you will see that it is not just a display issue, the dados stop 1/4 short on just the one side.
Attachments
Test Std Corner Frameless.hsf
(240.02 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

I see said the blind man... I'm not absolutely sure but I think Houston has a problem...

Of course this is without my first cup of coffee. :cry:
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Rolph,
The dado problem looks like a bug. You might want to call Thermwood with it or use Feedback in the software to let them know about it.
Kerry
Rolf Bergstrom

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

Thanks guys. Changing all of those Tenon settings one at a time and checking each result starts to become a blur after a while. It is easy to lose track and I was hoping I was just missing something. I will report it if nobody from Thermwood pops in here before I get back from the shop.