Thinking about a newer computer

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Have you looked at the Dell Outlet (link above)? There are several Precision Workstation 390 systems with 4GB from $1800 to $2000. All were \"previously ordered new\" but never shipped.
Glenn Warner
Company Name: Expressions in Wood

Re:

Post by Glenn Warner »

George L Vought wrote:Dan ;
I'd love something with 4GB, but they run about 6 grand, I'd also love to have that too.
Highest price I saw for an M90 on the outlet -- $2609. Dual core2 2.33mh, ultra sharp screen, 512 nvidia, 4gb ram, two wireless cards, large hard drive (250gb?), DVD-RW. List price around $4000.
Last edited by Glenn Warner on Mon, Jun 11 2007, 8:37AM, edited 1 time in total.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

In fact, the Dell Outlet has a refurbished Precision Workstation 390 with 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, 128MB nVidia Quadro FX550 video and XP Pro for $1189. You just can't beat that price for a workstation like that!
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Glenn Warner wrote:
George L Vought wrote:Dan ;
I'd love something with 4GB, but they run about 6 grand, I'd also love to have that too.
Highest price I saw for an M90 on the outlet -- $2609. Dual core2 2.33mh, ultra sharp screen, 512 nvidia, 4gb ram, two wireless cards, large hard drive (250gb?), DVD-RW. List price around $4000.
Just for clarity George, the M90 is a notebook and the 390 is a desktop.
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

George,

I think the most importaint thing is that you DO NOT let any one else use the computer. You can get away with a less than ideal machine if there is no other crap running on it. That means NO peer to peer (music sharing stuff), NO instant messenger stuff, NO huge anti virus suite packages, None of the inevetible codexs, patches, auto update, Flash stuff. You get the idea. If your kids use it The system will be FULL of little programs in short order. Yahooligans, PBS Kids, Nick Jr.com all these sites involve downloading stuff. Not to mention if the machine is used for \"adult entertainment\"........ Do you have a teenage boy?

Get a decient machine, make sure that there is a return policy, load up Ecabs and try to crash it. If the performance is acceptable, good; if not, return and upgrade. Let the family (and you) fill the other machine up with junk.

Mike
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

In addition to all that has been said, maintaining performance has been discussed to some length. You may want to look at this recent thread.

Al
http://sandal-woodsblog.com
Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking