Dear Santa, Here's what I'd like for Christmas...

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Dear Santa, Here's what I'd like for Christmas...

Post by Joe Dusel »

Here’s my wish list for Version 6:

• Part Editor in the Drawer Box editor. Make sure it includes the Constraint Manager.
• Constraint Manager for the Part Editor in the Room Editing area. It would be nice to be able to change the material for a countertop without a cutouts being lost.
• Custom Molding editor. It sure would be nice to setup whatever profile we like.
• Custom Door editor. It would be nice to be able to design doors any way we like, for instance big doors with mid-rails or muntins on paneled doors. And it would also be nice to be able to select and show panels of a different material than the rails and stiles.
• Line boring (for old time’s sake)
• LDE Title block generator with information such as company name, address, contractor’s license number and such entered in a database.
• LDE View port setup such that if you update the object you are displaying in the line drawing editor, such as a room or just a cabinet, the “view” of that object would correspondingly be updated. That way if we change a cabinet the line drawing of it would match it. It also seems to add a bunch of data to a file in the current setup if we have line drawings.
• LDE Arrow sizes that are fixed.
• LDE data stored in a separate file. By this I mean, if the project name is “kitchenCabs.esj”, the LDE file would be something like “kitchenCabs.lde” and this would only be opened and loaded into memory when the LDE is active. The LDE file name would be based on the project name.
• Glass as a sheet material. It would be nice to be able to easily add glass shelves and unframed glass doors.
• A menu selection in the Presentation Manager to show/hide the lights.

Thanks!!!

Joe
David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Post by David Egnoski »

As long as we're wishing, I'll second Joe's wishes and add one. Not so much for me because I'm a one man operation but for a shop I've been helping to learn eCabinets. They would like an assembly report for the guys in the shop. It would list the parts for one cabinet and a thumbnail front view of the cabinet on one page. I tried to attach a sample page but even zipped it's too big.

Keep up the good work Thermwood. You've still got the best software for the job. I appreciate the effort you put into what you do.
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Dear Santa, Here's what I'd like for Christmas...

Post by DanEpps »

Joe Dusel wrote:...LDE data stored in a separate file. By this I mean, if the project name is “kitchenCabs.esj”, the LDE file would be something like “kitchenCabs.lde” and this would only be opened and loaded into memory when the LDE is active. The LDE file name would be based on the project name...
I think you have hit on something here Joe!!! :idea:

In fact, since some of the drawing pages take so much memory, it might be a good idea to store each page as a separate file (or database record??? hint).
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Great idea about breaking out the LDE pages. Then we could have something like \"kitchencabs.p1.lde\", \"kitchencabs.p2.lde\" and so forth. Hey Jason, just send a copy of the code to Dan and I and we'll get on it. 8)

Joe
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Joe your wish for glass as a sheet material has been granted. You can add glass or mirrors and you can make shelves and doors out of it out of it.
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Joe Dusel »

Nick M Singer wrote:Joe your wish for glass as a sheet material has been granted. You can add glass or mirrors and you can make shelves and doors out of it out of it.
Don't tell me I've been doing this the hard way by adding display panels and then texture matching to a "glass" display object. I can't believe I missed this one. How do you add this transparent glass to the sheet materials?

Joe
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Am I understanding you correctly here Joe. Do you just want something you can use as glass like material or are you looking for something transparent?
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Nick

I think what Joe is wanting to do is to define a sheet good and make it transparent for display purposes.
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Hi Nick,

I just want to be able to easily add glass shelves and doors to cabinets that will resize. It's nice to be able to see through them as well. I've attached a rendering of what I'm talking about.

Joe
Attachments
glassDoorsShelves.jpg
glassDoorsShelves.jpg (31.96 KiB) Viewed 11177 times
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Ok then add a sheet stock item called \"glass\" and attach the image you have used in your example.
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Ok then add a sheet stock item called \"glass\" and attach the image you have used in your example.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Back to the original topic, I'd like to see a solid, bug free program.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Nick,
If you do that, the material comes out Opaque instead of transparent. The eCab guys would have to do some tweaking to get a transparent material.

Rick,
Because of \"the nature of the beast\" I think the eCab guys could work for months making ecabs bug free and then the next feature they add would let all of them back in. The only way they will ever be \"Bug Free\" is to quit improving the software. Bugs are the price of progress.

Kerry
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Al Navas »

Kerry Fullington wrote:... Bugs are the price of progress...
The important thing is that someone (almost) always comes up with a way around a particular bug or issue. And to me, THAT is the value of this forum.

How do you guys remember all the "work-arounds"? I started to catalogue them and gave up, relying mostly on my memory. But even that seems to have some empty areas (or volumes?) from time to time... :roll:

Al
http://sandal-woodsblog.com
Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

I realize we can't have the program perfect but a certain amount of stability would be good. I think Al hit the nail on the head with a workaround list.