Doors - Buy or Build?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Tillman Stevens

Doors - Buy or Build?

Post by Tillman Stevens »

for the small shop who will be outsourcing my sheet cutting work to a production partner, is it generally more cost effective to buy doors or to have them cut by the production partner?
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

The only time you want to be making your own doors is if you have something very special you need to make (like bamboo doors), or if you happen to own a door factory. There is no way you can make doors as cheaply as a door factory. It's even hard to make them as good as they do.

If I were you I would just order doors and drawer boxes through the eCabs software from Connestoga.

Joe
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

I would gladly purchase doors via the system if we had a few more options. I can not seem to use Connestoga, I guess they are just too large and inflexible for a small guy like me. Decorative Specialties is big as well but they seem much more cooperative.
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

To be honest, I have only gotten drawer boxes from Conestoga myself, but my reason is that they are just too far away from me in the San Diego area and it takes way too long to get here. I also use Decorative since they are local, but I would like to have a local supplier whose doors I could order right through the software. I especially like the idea of buying finished doors and drawer fronts. I am surprised to hear that Conestoga would not want to deal with the small shops. Did you try to place an order through eCabinet Systems? I was able to order a small quantity of drawer boxes with no problems.

Joe
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

The quantity was not the issue, I made a mistake on an order, I called them within an hour. But had to pay a penalty. Delivery times are also a problem, the and the attitude of the clown I talked to. Lets just say I do not like dealing with them.
Eric Shearn

Post by Eric Shearn »

Hello Geo,
Was you talking to Conestoga direct or with someone here at Thermwood?

Thank You,
Eric
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Geo,

That's interesting. I hear the same thing all the time (complaints) about Decore from other local cabinet shops in my area, but they have done okay by me. I think every company has good and bad days, and some of their staff are better than others. I know that if you are ordering through Thermwood they will treat you right.

Joe
JoeyLowe

Post by JoeyLowe »

I make lots of doors. All shapes and sizes. Of course, I'm set up to do that too with dedicated machinery including RF glue presses, Voorwood panel raisers, Weaver Shapers, etc. With that said, I can honestly say that it is almost always better to outsource your doors. In the past, I've bought doors from Conestoga. I received great service and a great product. As for lead times and delivery times and production changes, most door mfgs. have a schedule that they must adhere to. Change orders create delays, even if the change order comes in within an hour. It is very typical that the customer service rep taking your order is inputting your order into their schedule as you give it to them. If you call in one hour later with a change order, most likely the panels are already in process or the material has already been dedicated to your original order. Anyway, changes to the original order do have a cost associated with it.

Lastly, one of the reasons why I'm such a big believer in eCabinets is the ability to outsource. So, if eCabinets offers a product that you need, you will most likely save money and time by buying that item instead of producing it yourself.
J. Alexander Lowe & Sons, Inc.
104 Davis Street, Gilmer, Texas 75644-1821
(903)680-2297 Cell: (903) 445-9350
Perry Pravettone
Company Name: Unemployed Manager

Post by Perry Pravettone »

I have been ordering doors and dovetail drawer boxes since the start
of the program with very good success. Delivery has always been consistent usually 2 to 3 weeks. I’m sure we all would like to see over night delivery service but I would be happy with 1 to 2 week shipping. I sure would like see a way of getting a free catalog with all the ordering I’ve purchased, my catalog was free when I bought direct from Conestoga 5 years ago.

Perry Pravettone
Eric Shearn

Post by Eric Shearn »

Hello Everyone,

Conestoga does offer their catalog on CD, which is free. If you would like to get the CD please call in to the catalog dept. we would be happy to send one out to you.

Thank You,
Eric
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

Eric, I was unhappy with a person at Connestoga. Any time I've dealt with a person at Thermwood they have broken their backs to help me. You guys are the greatest.
Tillman Stevens

Post by Tillman Stevens »

Hey - Thanks for all the response. Now, I better get back to work and finish this design.

I guess I'm just a little nervous about pulling the trigger the first time. I know what it's going to cost me to cut and build everything myself, and I'm just afraid I'll hose something up when I use the production partner route for the first time.
Perry Pravettone
Company Name: Unemployed Manager

Re:

Post by Perry Pravettone »

Eric Shearn wrote:Hello Everyone,

Conestoga does offer their catalog on CD, which is free. If you would like to get the CD please call in to the catalog dept. we would be happy to send one out to you.

Thank You,
Eric
Thanks for the info Eric.

Perry