Nemanja Vujkovic

Help with this DXF

Post by Nemanja Vujkovic »

Can not get this to nest...

ACAD using acad 2007
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

Add on to the above post...

Nano and I were trying several different ways to get this part cut...

1 Load directly into CN and cut(no luck)
2 Load into parts editor and cut(no luck)
3 Adjust the layers in the Acad drawing and cut(no luck)
4 Call thermwood and get a solution(no luck)

So now I suppose that we will attempt loading it into the shape manager and go from there...maybe we will get lucky. 8)

We consulted the sample DXF file in the CN manual and we got that to load up just fine....when I tried to adjust the layers in our part I couldn't get it to load....

the message is \"part exceeds required material thickness, material required 0.0000\"\" so I don't get that either...I am sure there is just a simple setting somewhere to get it to work....

Anyways hope someone can help...

Thanks

Roger

Any e-cabs to ACAD gurs out there would be very helpfull!!
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

loaded the file into shape manager....no luck
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

What did Thermwood have to say when you called?
Kerry
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

Pretty much told me to check the layers on the DXF for the CN out put then told me about the splines and the arcs(which I allready knew)

So I saved it in ACAD 2000(suggested by Daniel I think) and tried to load it up in the parts editor...

We have had many issues with DXF import into e-cabs...it really is just hit or miss with that one for us at least..

I'm gonna add that into the wish list...DXF import manager!!
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Roger,
I could be very wrong here because I have only cut 2 DXF files on our router since owning it.
In your outline layer I'm pretty sure you need to make sure it has the material thickness in the layer name. eg(In metric) OutlineZ16P5 which makes it cut 16.5mm deep if CN is set to metric.
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

CN is set to imperial....

We have it labled \"outline z0p75\" does the number before the z stand for material thickness?
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Roger I tried opening your DXF but it will not. I use DXFs extensively on my Thermwood so If you want mail me any problems you are welcome at nbfsinger@iburst.co.za. The outline layer prescribes the perimeter of the part and the \"z\" variable sets the depth or thickness.
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

There's something funny about this file. You have a pocket layer that has 16 entities on it but I can't find them. The outline layer has 76 entities but I can only find 3, a full circle and two half circles. I'm looking into it. :wink:
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Got it!! You have ALOT of geometry that is blanked out on those layers. Even though it's blanked out, it is still putting it into the dxf file. This is causing your issues. Delete it or move it to another layer that the machine will not look at.
Nemanja Vujkovic

Post by Nemanja Vujkovic »

Thanks everybody for your responses. It's working fine now. We tryed a little bit of everything abd it works!

Thanks!
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I don't know if it will help explain anything but the only thing I could get to open the file was Accutrans and it stated that there were several ACIS Solid objects that would not open.
It would be nice for Roger to know what caused the problem so that it could be avoided in the future.
Kerry
Roger Erismann

Post by Roger Erismann »

Like Nano said....

We tried everything out..

ended up getting it to work in the parts editor by saving it in version 12 of ACAD...

The parts were delivered ontime and everything went well...

Now Daniel mentioned something about hidden layers...How do I view those layers so I can get rid of them in the future?

The part was generated by another company and emailed to me....

The upside is that the customer wanted one set of more parts made out of another DXF, Nano was able to knock it out and cut the parts in 15minutes(using version 12 of ACAD and the parts editor)...we still had to go through ecabs...although this is OK we would rather nail these 2D DXFs out in the auto cad format and cut....(screen to machine time)

Love this forum :D
Wood Butcher/Case Maker
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Roger,

I don't have Autocad so I can't explain how to show hidden items in a layer, or used layers in that software. :cry: I have to do everything in Mastercam. :wink: You can always direct your customer to our website and have them read the control nesting manual so they know how to set up the dxf files properly.