Graphics card for Dell laptop

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Geo Noeth

Graphics card for Dell laptop

Post by Geo Noeth »

I have a friend who is running a Dell inspiron 6000 laptop I also use the same model since the later versions of ecabs wouldn't run on my desktop. His machine leaves tracks when positioning cabinets, mine seems to work fine. Both of us recently upgraded to two gig of memory and saw an improvement in ecabs performance. But he still gets the tracks.

My machine has a \"Radion ATI Mobility\" graphics card. While he seems to have no graphics card. So because I am a real smart guy I advised him to get a graphics card. Now we are trying to figure out what he can get that will fit in his machine and work with ecabs. Neither of us is real bright as to the ins and outs of PCs. He is on a limited budget so we thought we might check here for advise before calling Dell. Can anyone help us out?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Geo,
Someone that knows something will probably have to chime in here but I think that in most laptops you are stuck with the graphics that came with it. There is no way to upgrade graphics.
Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Kerry is correct, especially with the Insipron line of Dell laptops. The only Dell laptops that have choices in the video card are the XPS gaming systems and the Pricision Mobile Workstation systems. For eCabinets you want the Precision Mobile Workstation M90 for best performance. It is expensive but as with any tool, you get what you pay for.
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Well, there are people that offer used Dell parts. Here's a Dell ATI 128MB Radeon X300 for Inspiron 6000's.

Don't know if a laptop with an Intel Integrated can be upgraded to one of these or not.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

Thanks guys. Dan you are certainly right but you seem to have little tolerance for those of us trying to get by on the cheap. I see your replies all the time and while I know you are right if we can solve this problem for $100 bucks instead of 3 to 4 thousand we are going to try it. Can you respect that?

Dean thanks for the thread I'm trying to follow up with them and see if it can be done.

If anyone has any direct experience any info would be appreciated.
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

My desktop does the green tracers also when placing cabinets. If you use the arrows it won't happen. I don't think that his laptop will accept a video card, but a quick call to Dell will confirm it. Have the service tag ready.

Mike
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

Well it appears you guys know what you are talking about. they say that the only way of doing it is to replace the mother board. Thanks for the help and the good advice.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Geo Noeth wrote:Thanks guys. Dan you are certainly right but you seem to have little tolerance for those of us trying to get by on the cheap. I see your replies all the time and while I know you are right if we can solve this problem for $100 bucks instead of 3 to 4 thousand we are going to try it. Can you respect that?

Dean thanks for the thread I'm trying to follow up with them and see if it can be done.

If anyone has any direct experience any info would be appreciated.
I don't mean for it to sound that way Geo. I'm just passing along information based on over 30 years experience in the computer industry.

Not only that, but if you look at the recommended systems for eCabinets, you will note that the only laptop recommended is the Dell M90 mobile Workstation. This is because it has the necessary "horsepower" to run eCabinets in its current incarnation. Hopefully, future versions will have reduced the memory and video requirements to tolerable levels.

Again, please don't take it the wrong way, I'm just stating facts.
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Re: Graphics card for Dell laptop

Post by Joe Soto »

[quote="Geo Noeth"] His machine leaves tracks when positioning cabinets, mine seems to work fine. quote]
Try backing down the acceleration and uncheck the box that says enable write combing
Joe
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

Thanks Joe. How would one go about doing that?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Right click on your Desktop
Choose Properties
Click on the Settings Tab
Click on the advanced button
Click on the Troubleshoot tab
This is what you are looking for

Kerry
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Post by Joe Soto »

Geo, Right click on an empty space on your desk top, then properties, settings, then advanced, then troubleshoot. Back the slider down a little then try it. If it doesn't help go a little more.
Joe
Theodore R Fountain

Post by Theodore R Fountain »

I don't think this has been brought up. But they were working on some external graphics cards for laptops. http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=5369 also check out the review at http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/hand ... ternal-gpu
I have heard any buzz about these things so we'll have to wait and see if they even make them...
James L Aldrich

Graphics card solution

Post by James L Aldrich »

Thanks to Mr. George Noeth and Mr. Joe Soto. , The green tracks problem has been resolved. Thanks again!!!