Part editing Drawer Fronts & Drawer Boxes

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

GaryRasberry

Part editing Drawer Fronts & Drawer Boxes

Post by GaryRasberry »

This may seem like a trivial matter, but we do a ton of inset slab drawer fronts & doors and we often wish we had a simple method to align the drawer fronts. Presently we part edit the drawer front to include the hole(s) for the knob or pull. It would be a nice feature to be able to part edit the drawer box front to add a couple of holes for attachment of the drawer front to the drawer box. One could then add two 50% depth aligning holes to the back of the drawer front for easy attachment & aligning of the drawer front to the drawer box.

I don't know if this has been posted before or if others experience the same frustration for that matter. It just seems nuts that we are assembling all of these perfectly Thermwood router milled parts and then spending all this time aligning the stupid drawer fronts. Seems to me that is why you use the CNC router.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

I think PE cuts for drawers are on the wish list Gary.
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

I think the more people that wish for something the higher it goes on the list. I would think setting up the Part Editor to work with drawer boxes should be a piece of cake considering that the drawer box editor looks very similar to the cabinet editor.

Joe
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

Post by Mark Hesketh »

Well, in that case Joe, let me request it once again! :) Though I am pretty sure the wonderful Thermwood guys are getting sick of my comments about it.

I know you're working on it Thermwood guys, no worries, just helping to keep it fresh in your minds :)
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Yes,part editor on drawers........and strechers would be good! Did I mention part editor on drawers???Can you say angled pullout,how about scoop front?How about predrilled holes for drawer fronts? Seriously, this would be one of the most productive things I could think of for router owners and members using production sharing.
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
GaryRasberry

Post by GaryRasberry »

Thanks for your input guys. Rick- Thanks, I didn't know it was on the \"list\". Maybe we can get it moved up! I'm a pretty diligent reader of the forum but not a big poster. Bashful I guess. The drawer/drawer box alignment issue has been around forever. Do you know anyone who likes the task? I sure don't know anyone who does. Heck, around our shop we all take on the task together so no one feels like they are being persecuted! We HATE it. Can I get an \"Amen!\" on that? We appreciate what Thermwood is doing and wouldn't it be great if they are one of the first to put this gripe to bed!
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Gary we use the Blum front adjusting dowel for fixing fronts to our dovetail drawers (the item is part No. 295.1000). I set up the drilling in the back of the drawer in the PE and locate the fronts on the drawer box using dowel markers also supplied by Blum (or pretty easily home made. )
GaryRasberry

Post by GaryRasberry »

Nick- Checked them out and it looks like it may work for us. Thanks!