File Transfer

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Russell Walker

File Transfer

Post by Russell Walker »

Hi All

I have a problem. When I save a cabinet or job on my desk top to a jump drive to use in my laptop; it dosen't work. When I try to access the file on the jump drive in the laptop, the file is visable as an ECab file but won't open for use.

It's the same from laptop to desk top. Any valid reason why this is so.

Cheers to all from Tasmania, Russell
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

The speed of the drive is limiting access to the files. Simply copy the files to your hard drive and open from there. This should solve this.

Thanks
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: File Transfer

Post by Al Navas »

Russell Walker wrote:Hi All

I have a problem. When I save a cabinet or job on my desk top to a jump drive to use in my laptop; it doesn't work. When I try to access the file on the jump drive in the laptop, the file is visable as an ECab file but won't open for use.

It's the same from laptop to desk top. Any valid reason why this is so.
HOW are you trying to open the file? Just want to make sure HOW you are doing it - please, don't be insulted by the following questions...

1. Are you double-clicking on the file you want to open? This won't work.

2. Or are you trying to open from within eCabs? This is the only way the files will open properly.

3. Where do you place the files when moving them from laptop back to the desktop? The files must be within the eCabs folder, in their respective directories. I attach an image, below.

On the other hand, as Mike already mentioned, it is possible the files just won't open from the jump drive. If this is the case, is it strictly a speed issue on the drive, or something else, such as temp files that must be created, etc.?

Attachments
eCabs file locations.jpg
eCabs file locations.jpg (200.2 KiB) Viewed 8418 times
Al
http://sandal-woodsblog.com
Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking
Gene Kimmi

Post by Gene Kimmi »

I save all my job files on a 1 GB Memorex Traveldrive. When I open a job on it, E-Cabinets opens with the job loaded.

I don't have to do anything special, just insert the Traveldrive, double click the job, and it opens.
Gene Kimmi
Lenovo W540 windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i-7 4800MQ @ 2.7GHz 8 GB ram
Intel HD & NVIDIA Quadro K2100M Graphics
Samsung 256 SSD Drive
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

Interesting, Gene. I believe you are saying that you CAN double-click on an *.hsf file, and the file opens properly in eCabs? It appears that we might be addressing different issues...

I previously thought that it could NOT be done, and Kerry confirmed it in this post: http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... uble+click . At least, I cannot double-click on a cabinet file (*.hsf) and open it - I MUST do it from within eCabs - the error is always \"Invalid file type\". I believe this is true for everything saved from the Cabinet / Assembly Editor.

Assembly files appear to not even be associated with anything in the system, as the image I posted above shows; as a result, when I double-click them, I always get a dialog box requesting to identify a program to open the file. These must always be opened from within eCabs too.

On the other hand, for a job, or *.esj files saved from Custom Layout, I CAN double-click on it and it will open eCabs and launch properly.

Attachments
Cabinets and assemblies must be saved from the Editor area, not in the Custom Layout area
Cabinets and assemblies must be saved from the Editor area, not in the Custom Layout area
SavingCabinets.jpg (198.46 KiB) Viewed 8351 times
Last edited by Al Navas on Sun, Jul 08 2007, 8:58AM, edited 1 time in total.
Al
http://sandal-woodsblog.com
Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Interestingly enough, All files made from within e_cabinets (except esj) can only be opened within e_cabinets. This includes tol., x_t., ptn., hsf...

Job files (esj) on the other hand, can be opened at double click, (or \"single click\" web browsing set up). So long as the computer is recognizing this file type. This requires telling your computer that it needs to open this type of file with this software. As mentioned before.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Out of the box this is true, but you can change it. :D

Right-click on the file type you want you open in eCabinets by double-clicking the file...HSF in this case.

Select \"Properties\" from the context menu. Notice there is no \"Opens With\" association.

Click the \"Change\" button and select eCabinets from the list. If it is not in the list, click the \"Browse\" button and navigate to eCabinets.exe.

Click the \"OK\" button.

Your file can now be opened by double-clicking it. :D
Attachments
file Association 3.jpg
file Association 3.jpg (34.59 KiB) Viewed 8364 times
file Association 2.jpg
file Association 2.jpg (39.12 KiB) Viewed 8326 times
file Association 1.jpg
file Association 1.jpg (40.11 KiB) Viewed 8326 times
Russell Walker

File Transfer

Post by Russell Walker »

Hi All

Thank you for all your advice with this problem; I will try again as per advice as soon as I have the time to get to it.

I will let you know the outcome.

Cheers Russell
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Al Navas »

DanEpps wrote:Out of the box this is true, but you can change it. :D ...
Dan,

I still get the error message "Invalid file type". After I associate the file types, and then I double-click on a cabinet file with *.hsf file type, eCabs launches and opens at the main menu page, but this error still shows up - nothing comes up.

The same is true of all other file types, except for *.esj :? .

Al
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Hmmm...me too. I didn't test it (oops) to see if it would actually work :oops: .

It looks like eCabinets is expecting only an ESJ file to be opened in this manner or is expecting a missing parameter to be supplied in the \"Opens With\" value.
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

eCabinet Systems only works that way with *.esj files. you can not do that with *.esa or *.hsf files.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

Then it is hard-wired into the program code. No problemo!

It really is no problem at all. What IS important: That people ARE aware of this, and don't get too frustrated when doing it any other way. In fact, this is exactly the reason for this forum being here - it IS a terrific resource!

Al