Display Cost/ Price

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Display Cost/ Price

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I just noticed that using Version 5.1 build 3 under the View Menu there is no selection to \"View Cost/ Price\".

How do we get the Dynamic Cost Display to work?

Kerry
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Kerry,
Under \"Settings and Preferences\" click on \"define costs\". Bottom of the panel. This what you're looking for?
regards,
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

No Peter,
In the previous versions when you dropped the View menu there was a selection to \"View Cost/Price\" that would display the Dynamic pricing at the bottom of the screen if you selected yes to Dynamic Cost Display in Preferences.
Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Kerry

I seem to remember Larry discussing removing the dynamic cost feature because it was a huge memory/performance hit.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Thanks Dan,
I see they have a drop down menu on the Create Cost Sheet Icon to get the numbers.
I will miss the Dynamic Cost Display. I used it to get immediate feedback on how different things affected the cost.
Kerry
Donald Walls

Post by Donald Walls »

It has been a while since I used the program and I am getting things set up again. Am I reading this correctly, that we will not be able to see the cost at the bottom of the screen anymore??

Thanks

Donald Walls
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

It appears that way Donald.

And, I agree with Kerry; I will miss this display as well. Unless the programers will wiggle their noses once more to incorporate the best of both worlds.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Joseph Fusco

Post by Joseph Fusco »

I'd like to see that \"feature\" turned back on as well.
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

At least they should take out the check boxes in the preferences.
Ive been clicking on them all day trying to get it to work!
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

I'm the odd man here... I like it this way because now it doesn't recalculate everytime I do something, which has always frustrated me.

Hm, maybe an option in the prefs to have it be one way or the other?
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Jeremy,
It is still re-calculating every time you make a change, you just can't see it now. The old way did allow you to turn it on and off in Preferences.
Kerry
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

DanEpps wrote:...I seem to remember Larry discussing removing the dynamic cost feature because it was a huge memory/performance hit.
Kerry Fullington wrote:...It is still re-calculating every time you make a change, you just can't see it now. The old way did allow you to turn it on and off in Preferences...
These two don't jive. If the dynamic price/cost was removed due to its effect on performance, but the program still IS doing it in the background, then it is a simple matter of displaying. Is it the "displaying" part that will give performance such a bad hit?

I would have thought that updating the cost/price data base in the background would cause the biggest hit on performance. BUT it could be that it is the same data base that keeps track of all the pieces and components of the cabinets; in this case, yes, everything is being changed dynamically every time one makes a change. But I also am NOT a systems guy - I am only a user.

What would be my preference? Make it an option to have it calculated or not (IF it does not cause a deterioration on performance, AND if possible to do so). And make it another option to display or not.

Al
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I'm not so sure costs are recalculated with every change. If you pick one of the options on the cost sheet dropdown menu it calculates costs before displaying the report.

One thing is strange though. When I go into Settings/Preferences and click the Define Costs button, it takes a full 10 seconds for the dialog to be displayed. Other buttons (Define Stock Materials, Define Standard Dimensions) are instantaneous.
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

The Dynamic Cost display feature is being phased out. We unfortunately forgot to remove the radio buttons in Dynamic Markups dialog. Sorry for the confusion.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

What about the long time it takes after clicking the Define Costs button...is it just me?