Something done well!!!!

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jerry McClain

Something done well!!!!

Post by Jerry McClain »

Okay Okay, I know I have been a basher of ecabinets on some issues but I do also applaud the things it does well. I have recently discovered how to exact position two cabinets in the middle of a room. I selected a cabinet and adjusted something on it and moved to the next cabinet and selected it without deselecting the first. To my amazement it told me the distance between the two. It was the answer to another problem layout I was struggling with. I actually felt like standing up and cheering.
Attachments
Measure to.jpg
Measure to.jpg (27.07 KiB) Viewed 10998 times
JLM
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

It also works on cabinet to wall distance.

Mike
Jerry McClain

Post by Jerry McClain »

I know, ain't it great. Somethings are just wonderful surprises. Thats what keeps me going. The golden nuggets you find in the field of rocks.
JLM
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

You can also manually adjust the angle of the cabinet when you place it into a room and even lock that angle if you need to.

There are so many neat things that the software will do. The key is learning the functions within and, the short cuts throughout.

If you do peninsulas or islands you can design a parametric panel to add to the back of cabinets for a finished look.

Just a few for the mind to consider.

Each one of these files can be resized a little, making them too long will distort the appearance. Thus make several versions.
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Jerry McClain

Post by Jerry McClain »

Thanks Mike, that is something I have been struggling with. I have a job with an island that needs some work. I hated drawing in walls just for placing the island in the correct spot. I was using Chief Architect to do my initial drawings if it included an island. What I have learned from this thread has changed that. What a relief, I hope to phase out the other programs soon. Thanks again.
JLM
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Al Navas »

Michael Yeargain wrote:...If you do peninsulas or islands you can design a parametric panel ...
I added the color for emphasis.

What do you mean? Please educate me, Mike. HOW do I create a parametric panel? The only parametric anything I find in the electronic version of the User Guide is for stretchers.

Is this comparable to making panels that resize automatically, by selectively deleting parts of a cabinet, until only the back panel is left?

Are you using the term parametric in the CAD sense, as defined in Direct Dimensions, i.e.: Parametric - an object in a CAD model that can be modified simply by changing the parameters used to create it (e.g., dimensions, design constraints).

I would like to learn how to make such panels. Thanks!

Al
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Al,
The easiest way I have found is delete everything but a cabinet back and use the material you want for that back. You can now re-size at will.
Kerry
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Al Navas »

Kerry Fullington wrote:...The easiest way I have found is delete everything but a cabinet back and use the material you want for that back. You can now re-size at will...
Thanks, Kerry. That pretty much explains it!

Is THAT what parametric means in the context of eCabs? Is it something that can be resized? I understood parametric in the context of a fluid flow model, for example, but this one had me baffled :? .

Al
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Al,
The idea behind using the back is to get a sheet material that you can take to the part editor and cut, profile, and drill holes in and that will nest and that can be resized. You can add constraints to any machining that you do to this panel. It can then be used for anything you want.
If you want it for counter tops I would delete all the parts of a cabinet except the top so that it will start out positioned correctly.
Cut it to any shape in the part editor and place it as an assembly.
Kerry
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

NEAT! This must be what makes the back a \"parametric panel\". Another trick in the bag, Kerry. Thanks!!!

So much yet to learn...

Al
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

Al,

How ever you wish to say it. I don't know the technical term and it's absolute relativity to either cad system.

In my terminology I am refering to a sizable panel that gives you correct door sizes when it is resized.

Notice the wire chase in this picture. It uses a 15\" top rail from my stock plywood. Inset the bottom of each side and inset the top. There is no bottom in this \"cabinet\". This \"cabinet\" is expandable to any acceptable length and height.

I have a \"cabinet\" wire chase that has the proper -inset for the face frame that will allow a 22 1/2 degree mitre, that will join another of the same with a but or finished end.

The bottom cabinet is not so \"parametric. It is an assembly. I have to take that assembly to the editor to change the size of it.
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Al Navas »

Michael Yeargain wrote:... How ever you wish to say it. I don't know the technical term and it's absolute relativity to either cad system.

In my terminology I am refering to a sizable panel that gives you correct door sizes when it is resized.
Mike,

My ignorance, for sure. Sometimes a guy's background CAN get in the way and foul things up :lol: . In NO way was I putting down your term for the resizable panel you mentioned. I just want to LEARN from you guys!!!

THAT is one real cool way to do these - thanks for sharing. I have so much to learn yet. And I thought I was getting proficient with eCabs :cry: . Or are these tricks learned through extensive use of the program?

You show the wire chase. You show the picture, but I don't know WHAT it is, or its function. The way I understand it, a wire chase is used to carry a wire while concealing it. Is this the function of the piece you show? The image does not have sufficient detail in it.

Al
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

Here is a better image for ya Al. No offence was taken be sure of that.

This is exactly what you think it is. It is for the wire to go to the receptacles. Here in S.C. the code is 2' from the edge of a sink, there needs to be a receptacle. This will conceal the wires and allow for a shallow box.

Notice the front \"face-frame insets negatively. This \"cabinet will chamfer at a 22 1/2 deg on both sides to accommodate another wire chase to connect to it.
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

I don't give all my trade secrets away but this will help you to see the versatility of this software and to help guide you in the direction you need to go to be competitive.

I have a nice size shop with mostly conventional machines. The only automated machine we have now at this point is an edgebander. That alone has increased production tremendously. The fact that I have a very extensive cabinet library is another benefit. Also the fact that we don't even offer melamine cabinets is another. So now, I don't have to \"re-invent the wheel\".

I hope this is an encouragement to you.

As far as offering my library... I will one day. But for the moment I still have to work out the cost for mine. I think my cabiunet library is so extinsive that a designer shouldn't have to \"create\" anything else. So... the cost is going to well worth the investment. As well as (NOT CHEEP).
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

Thanks, Mike! Pretty cool stuff you have made in eCabs, for sure. I look forward to see the contents of your library, and the price... 8) . It does provide not only encouragement, but inspiration.

Al