Wall Editor Crash

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Calvin Stewart

Wall Editor Crash

Post by Calvin Stewart »

I've fairly recently started using eCabinets and think I've got the hang of the cabinet editor section, created a library of products and figured I was good to go.

Now on starting up the Wall Editor part of the Custom Layout section of the program it takes a while for all the buttons and settings to appear along the left-hand side and when they do the main window remains black (even though screen shade is set to white). If I attempt to click on anything the program freezes and eventually the Windows program-not-responding window opens up.

I've had a brief go with this section of the program before and it was working fine, and now it's not so I'm guessing it's not a computer performance issue.. Has anyone experienced this problem before?

-I've searched the forum and from advice there have tried the following:

1. Restarting the computer (always worth a shot!)
2. Reducing the graphics card acceleration (display properties)
3. Reducing the level of detail used by the Custom Layout (eCabs properties)

None of these seem to work, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Calvin
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

Welcome to the forum, Calvin!

In order to help determine what is wrong, my first reaction is that the following information will help with the troubleshooting:

1. Computer operating system: WinXP and Service Pack, Vista, or which?
2. Total memory in your system
3. Type of graphics card, and total dedicated graphics memory on board this card

I am not a hardware guy, but others will be along, who will think of other things that may be causing or contributing to this problem.

Al
Calvin Stewart

Post by Calvin Stewart »

Thanks Al,

Here are the specs you asked for:

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer:
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz
2.80 GHz, 504 MB of RAM

Graphics:
Intel 82865G Graphics Controller (internal)
64 MB

-Calvin
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Calvin,

Are you using the latest version of eCabinets? Version 5.1 build 4

Kerry
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hi Calvin, That built in card is NFG for E-cabs. Here's a link to the minimum requirements. http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/ecab_new ... ftware.htm
Calvin Stewart

Post by Calvin Stewart »

Kerry,
I am using the most recent build, downloaded it when it came out.

and Rick,

I did have a check of the minimum specs a little while ago and I realise the computer I've been given here is a little....underpowered! But I'm wondering why the program would be working perfectly up until a few days ago if it were a system spec issue?

-Calvin

(just incase you're wondering I have no doubts that this is the issue, I'm just wondering why this would happen)
Last edited by Calvin Stewart on Thu, Aug 09 2007, 7:57AM, edited 1 time in total.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Calvin

Try turning hardware acceleration down very low or off for the video card.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Maybe you have a process running in the background that has taken it over the top (ram-graphics).
Calvin Stewart

Post by Calvin Stewart »

Thanks for the ideas Dan and Rick, unfortunately I'm still having the same issue.
I have a system upgrade on the way so I'll sit tight until they arrive, should solve the problem but I'll let you know!

Thanks for the input everyone.
-Calvin
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Al Navas »

Calvin Stewart wrote:...I have a system upgrade on the way so I'll sit tight until they arrive, should solve the problem but I'll let you know! ...
I feel your pain, Calvin - I hope your upgrade works well!

Not too long ago I went through something similar, but the ONLY upgrade that worked for my old laptop (512MB RAM, integrated graphics chip) was to get a new laptop that matched the specs given for the eCabinet Systems software. The real problem was the integrated graphics, which did not have an upgrade path.

Good luck!

Al
Calvin Stewart

Post by Calvin Stewart »

Just incase anyone was wondering how this turned out or if someone encounters a similar problem:

Got my nice new computer, almost as good as the recommended system on the eCabinets website (couldn't quite afford the Quadro graphics card that's specified there!)

Anyway I loaded up eCabinets and the Wall Editor worked fine. I then restored my files and settings that I had backed up.... and it stopped working again!
This made me think that it's probably not the computer that's the problem!
After a bit of experimenting I've found that the “eCabinets.ini” file
(found in your eCabinets main folder) was the problem, when swapping between the original install version of the file and my backed up version the Wall Editor also swapped between working and crashing!

The attached picture is of the settings that work (in the green box) and the settings that don't (in the red box). Not sure how these got changed to something that made the program crash. But if this happens to anyone else at least you'll know why!

The Wall Editor now works fine, and I expect if I did the same on my old computer the Wall Editor would start working again! -oh well.

-Calvin
Attachments
settings.JPG
settings.JPG (86.99 KiB) Viewed 9418 times
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Calvin,
Those settings in your .ini file are the values you enter in Preferences and are changed when you enter new values. I think the wall height value is changed when you enter a new value in the wall editor. Example: In the red box you had set your wall height to 94 1/2\" and in the green box it was set to 120 inches.
The ecab guys need to look at this though, there still must be some problem causing your crash.
Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

In the red box, room level of detail is set to 9 while in the green box it is set to 1. This could be causing the problems depending on just what type of video card your computer has in it. Try with the settings that don't work and lower the level of detail to its lowest setting to see what happens.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

You are good Dan.
Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Kerry Fullington wrote:You are good Dan.
Kerry
:oops: Nah...just good $6 Wal-Mart reading glasses :wink: