Computer crashes and eCabinets.ini

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Computer crashes and eCabinets.ini

Post by Al Navas »

A recent thread showed that a very small grid setting resulted in the eCabinet Systems software crashing.

What is the likelihood that making a change to the settings in the program will cause eCabinets.ini to keep (i.e., \"remember\") the setting entered prior to the crash, vs. the eCabinets.ini file keeping the new setting that caused the crash?

Just wondering. To me, this suggests that one might want to make a backup of the *.ini file, keep it in a safe place, and restore it in the event of a crash.

Al
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

You should use the Backup My Files functionality located in the File menu. This will hold all of your settings as well as your files so that you can restore them at a later time if needed.
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Al Navas »

Larry Epplin wrote:You should use the Backup My Files functionality located in the File menu. This will hold all of your settings as well as your files so that you can restore them at a later time if needed.
Thanks, Larry!

I tried this for the first time earlier this week - it was fast, convenient, and a great tool to use. I backed up to a 40 GB USB-22 HDD, about the size of two business cards and maybe 3/8" thick; extremely fast data transfer, too.

Are there limits to using some of the older jump drives, due to transfer speed issues?

Al
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

There shouldn't be any issues Al, as the files are just copied to the location specified in your backup/restore settings.
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

Thanks, Dan.

I was wondering, as some members have reported problems when using some of the (older) USB-1 jump drives, as I recall.

Al
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

I think those problems were related to trying to store job files on the USB drive--something I wouldn't recommend anyway.