DXF files

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Nick M Singer
Guru Member

DXF files

Post by Nick M Singer »

The Rolling Nest / Easy link manual only gives very basic information on the use of DXF files and does not expand upon the use of certain layer names such as \"border\". I was wondering which layer I could use to setup a part that only has the outline shape defined which would not be cut so that I could machine say a dodo or a hole on a precut part? Does Thermwood have any more help files available on this topic?
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Nick,

Haven't seen any other documentation on the DXF layers beyond the basic stuff in the RN manual.

Since RN uses the outline layer name to determine the material thickness (and the Z-shift) short of editing the G-code (to remove the outline cuts), I don't think you could use the front side of a DXF.

My first thought would be to set-up the machining as back side machining (backdado, backdrill... layers) Let RN create flip operations for the machining you want. Run only the flip operations. This will automatically set-up the parts to use the small parts fence (G902)

Two items to watch. The orientation of the part on the nest diagram will determine the orientation of the part when flipped.

The depth of \"back\" layer operations is measured from the front side of the part. i.e. for .75\" thick material a .5\" deep feature on the back side is placed on a .25\" deep layer.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Thanks Dave

I was thinking of solutions along these lines but was hoping for a somewhat more elegant method.
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Thanks Dave

I was thinking of solutions along these lines but was hoping for a somewhat more elegant method.
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Nick,

At this time we do not have any feature like this for machining a pre-cut part. RN will put a clearance on the outside of the part so that it can nest it. You will also need a layer name for the outline. You can try to do this and then etch the spoilboard first and then place your part over that. Then just let the machine cut the hole out and block stop the program so that it doesn't cut the outline or change the z height for the outline cut so it cuts above the part.