Glazed Entertainment Center

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Glazed Entertainment Center

Post by Damon Nabors »

This is an Entertainment center I built. I had a customer show me a picture that someone had sketched out and wanted to know if I could build it. I didn't like the picture and felt like it would not do the room justice. I asked if I could draw her a picture of what I feel like should be in the room and she said yes. So I did and this is what we came up with and ended up getting the job. Although I did not charge near enough for it.

Thanks Damon
Damon Nabors
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

This is what the cabinet ended up looking like.

Damon
Damon Nabors
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Another photo
Damon Nabors
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by George Davidson »

Very nice Damon
I like the hole Entertainment center but I like the way the top came out
a lot.
Michael Rice

Post by Michael Rice »

Nice work Damon ! I would try to convince the homeowner to raise that ugly light fixture, or change it altogether.. :) It distracts from your beautiful cabinetry.

Mike
It's what you do, with what you got !
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

yes, that is actually a ceiling fan with the blades removed so we would not bump into it when installing. Its just the angle of the picture that it shows up. It is actually in the center of the room.

Thanks for your input.

Damon
Damon Nabors
Kevin Gratwick

pilasters and crown molding

Post by Kevin Gratwick »

Your entertainment center looks great! I noticed that your ecabinetsystem drawing does not have pilasters. Do you know if it's possible to design applied pilasters on cabinets with this software? If you can add pilasters to cabinets, is it possible to show the crown wrapping around the pilasters, as it does in your final product.

Thanks, Kevin.
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Damon,
This is a very attractive project you can defintely be proud of.
Nicely done. The three-step cabinet sizes really makes the project interesting.
regards,
Michael Rice

Post by Michael Rice »

Kevin Gratwick
Welcome to eCabinets.
The answer to your question is yes, you can add pilasters with eCabinets. You create them as display cubes and associate them to your cabinet. You can also apply your mouldings around the pilasters. You can take the pilasters to the parts editor and add a moulding profile to them if you desire. As you learn this program you will be amazed at how creative it is. Just browse this forum and look at some of the great design by the members.

Mike
It's what you do, with what you got !
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Hey Kevin.
welcome to ecab. Just as Michael said, Yes you can. Most of the time I will give the customer a general idea on the rendering and kind of verbally describe some ideas we can do to enhance the cab. I do not have a router yet, so I do not see the need in putting in every detail. Most of my customers do not know what the finished product is going to look like anyway. I get a budget that they are willing to work within and try to give them the most cabinet there budget will allow. Its funny because most of my work is one of a kind custom stuff like this and often the customer tells me to just build them something beautifull that will fit in this space and keep it under a certain dollar amout. I am in the process of trying to buy a router now, so I will soon have to start getting every part I can in the cut list.

Kevin, just play around with the software and your imagination is your only limitations. I would suggest going to Dale, In and take the ecab class if you have not already. You will be surprised how much you will learn from the class. It is invaluable.

Thanks,
Damon
Damon Nabors
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

The TV is an older style television with the speakers below the screen. The customer wanted to hide the speakers and make it look more like a plasma flat screen. I have the speakers sitting below the top rail of the lower cab. The lower doors are pocket doors that slide back to either side of the tv sitting on a component cabinet below the rail. The face frame, and pilasters on the lower cabinet bolt on like a saddle to the lower cab. I had to make the face frame so it could be removed in order to install the television.
Lets just say it was a nightmare from a design standpoint. But it is very rewarding to see it completed.

I appreciate all the kind comments on the project.

Damon
Damon Nabors
Kevin Gratwick

Post by Kevin Gratwick »

Mike and Damon,

Thank you for your feedback regarding pilasters and molding. We are a small two man shop and would like to get away from doing to scale drawings by hand. The ecabinets software looks very powerful, and I'm particularly impressed with the quality of the photo presentations it generates. I'm also interested in getting a router down the line, but right now it's a little out of my budget. Out of curiosity, how long did it take for you to design the ecabinets image you used for this project? How much longer would it have taken to include all the detail seen in the final product?

I do plan on going to Dale, IN for the training. Right now I'm running of a desktop, so I'll need to invest in a laptop before making that trip.

Thanks again.

Kevin
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

kevin, the drawing as you see it probably took around 30/45 minutes. I don't know how long it would have taken with the additional details, but I would guess maybe another hour or two.

Buy the way, alot of us are running our programs on laptops. IMO that is the best way because you can take it with you on job sites and do presentations for the customer.

BTW, have a great day.

Damon
Damon Nabors
Justin Melhiser

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Kevin

You do not have to have a Laptop to come and take the training class here in Dale. Our training rooms are equiped with computers for you to use during the course. If you have any questions fel free to call me at 1-877-880-4638 ext 227 or email me at cabinets@thermwood.com.

Thank You
Justin